CFHS code : AG469
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : To the Dear Memory of WILLIAM DEWBERRY MUSB Organist of Clare College d Sep 15 1899 aged 56 also ELLEN his wife d April 16 1915 aged 63 JOHN HENRY LE[E]CH son in law of the above May 20th 1860 Oct 15th 1947
Monument : Headstone (fallen)/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.20295585, 0.1375476 – click here for location
This monument, in the parish area of St Andrew the Great, is located just north of the centre circle, three rows from the central path.
To the Dear Memory of WILLIAM DEWBERRY MUSB Organist of Clare College. Who departed this life Sep 15 1899 aged 56
Also ELLEN his wife who died April 16 1915 aged 63
JOHN HENRY LEECH son in law of the above May 20th 1860 Oct 15th 1947
Relationship: Husband, wife and son in law.
William’s parents and youngest brother are also buried in this cemetery, but their graves have not been located.
William Charles Dewberry (1843 – 1899)
William was born on 16 January 1843 in Cambridge, the son of James Dewberry, bootmaker. He was admitted as a Pensioner to Christ’s College, Cambridge, on 15 May 1879. He gained the degree of Bachelor of music in 1887. He was an Associate of the Royal College of Music Scholar and Silver Medallist. He became Organist of Madingley Church, Cambridgeshire, then Organist of Emmanuel College and Clare College, Cambridge. He was the conductor of several college musical societies, and composer of anthems and other church music. He was also Professor at the London College of Music.
He was married on August 8th 1871 at All Saints’ Church, Cambridge, to Ellen Green Miller. She was born in Ashdon, Essex, towards the end of 1850. William and Ellen Dewberry are found living at Rhadegund Buildings, Jesus Lane, Cambridge, in 1881, and at 15 Park Side, Cambridge, in 1898. They had a son and three daughters, one of whom, Maud, married John Henry Leech.
William Charles Dewberry became a freemason when he was initiated into the Lodge of the Three Grand Principles (No 441), Cambridge, in 1872, and served as its Worshipful Master in 1891. He died 15 September 1899 in Cambridge, aged 56.
An obituary was published in the Cambridge Daily News on Saturday 16 September 1899.
Ellen Green Dewberry (née Miller) (d 1915)
Ellen died on 16 April 1915 when, despite what her tombstone says, she was actually 64 years old.
John Henry Leech (1860-1947)
John Henry Leech was born 20 May 1860 at Stretton-on-Dunsmore in Warwickshire, where his father, John Henry Leech (Senior) was the village schoolmaster and church organist. He was baptised 22 July 1860 in All Saints’ Church, Stretton-on-Dunsmore. His parents had been married 22 April 1851 at the Church of St Andrew the Great, Cambridge, for his mother, Maria Smyth, was born in Cambridge in 1828. He died on 15 October 1947 at his home, 36 Glisson Road, Cambridge; the funeral service was held at St Edward’s Church, Cambridge, and he was buried on 18 October 1947 in the Great St Andrew’s section of Mill Road Cemetery in Cambridge.
As he grew up, John Henry Leech moved with his family to Lowestoft, then Camberwell, and then to Cambridge, where the family settled in Brunswick Walk and his father worked as a printer’s reader for Pitt’s Press. In all he had five sisters and two brothers, but three of his siblings died as children. After school, he studied at the Central School of Chemistry and Pharmacy, 173 Marylebone Rd, London NW, gaining a Minor pass in October 1881. In the 1881 census he is recorded as a Chemist’s Assistant, living at home with his parents. From 1891 until October 1912 he ran a chemist’s shop at 36 Trinity Street. After his father’s death in 1884, the Leech family moved to Jesus Lane, where widowed Maria kept a lodging house.
John Henry Leech was married on 14 April 1898 at All Saints’ Church, Cambridge, to Maud Beatrice Emma Dewberry (1875-1954), the daughter of William Charles and Ellen Green Dewberry. They appear to have moved straight into the newly-built Glisson Road in Cambridge, first at No 49 (1899), and then at ‘Dunsmore’, 55 Glisson Road (1900-34), and latterly at No 36. After the death of a maiden aunt in 1905, Jack, as he was familiarly known, also owned a house at Ventnor on the Isle of Wight, which served as a holiday home for his wife and children and a pied-à-terre for his trips into the interior of the island to attend auction sales. It may have been the onset of arthritis that caused him to sell his chemist’s business while yet in his early fifties. He had an alto singing voice, and after retirement used to deputise in St Paul’s Cathedral Choir from time to time. He also had a fondness for port. He became a freemason in 1909 on his initiation into his father-in-law’s lodge, the Lodge of the Three Grand Principles (No 441), Cambridge.
Jack and Maud had three daughters and one son, who between them gave him seven grandchildren. He made his last will and testament on 2 May 1947; it was proved in Peterborough on 28 January 1948, with his estate valued at £3494.12s.5d.
Maud died in 1954 and was cremated at Cambridge Crematorium.
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
CFHS Parish and Census transcripts
Cambridge Daily News
Written by Peter Smith
Edited by Mary Naylor with thanks to Emma Easterbrook for finding the obituary