CFHS code : ED147
Parish : St Edward
Inscription : In Memory of JOHN BARNARD Esq MA Fellow of Kings Coll d Nov 16 1878 aged 84
Monument : Cruciform Coped stone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203288, 0.13662584 – click here for location
This cruciform limestone ground slab, in the parish area of St Edward (Sexton row III, grave 7), is located to the west side of the western path 30 yards beyond the junction with the crosspath to the centre circle (heading north), beneath a cotoneaster tree. The inscription is engraved along the south side of the stone. (John Barnard is buried 10 feet deep.)
In memory of John Barnard Esq MA Fellow of King’s Coll
died Nov 16 1878 aged 84
John Barnard (c.1794‒1878)
John Barnard, son of Edward Barnard was baptised at Chislehurst, Kent on 18 September 1794. Barnard was schooled at Eton, where he was the Captain of Montem in 1814. He was admitted to King’s 6 July 1814 as a scholar. (His younger brother, George William, entered King’s College in 1823.)
Barnard was elected to the Fellowship in 1817. He received his BA a year later in 1818 and his MA in 1821. He was a keen collector of old china and porcelain and was known as ‘quite a character’ in College.
He died in his rooms at the age of 84 on 19 November 1878. Barnard was a Senior Fellow at the time of his death. A year later in 1879 Sotheby & Co. sold his ‘Collection of Decorative Porcelain’.
[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
By Ian Bent and Tracy Wilkinson