This grave has no monument but was identified using the sexton’s grave record. It is located in the parish of St Mary the Great Row XII Grave 21
Fanny Jaggs (née Whittall) (1870‒1935)
Fanny Whittall was born Oct/Dec 1870 in Clun Eddycliff, Shropshire, daughter of Edward Whittall, woodsman, and his wife Anne. Fanny was the sixth and youngest child, her siblings being Alice (b. 1857), Edward (b. 1859), Thomas (b. 1861), Anne (b. 1865), and Emily (b. 1866). In 1881 and 1891 the family was living at Brookbank, Lydbury North, Shropshire.
Fanny married George Jaggs of Fulbourn in c. 1899, and by 1901 the couple were living at 10 Calverley Grove, Islington, London, where their first two children had already been born: Hilda Patty Whittall (1900‒33) and her twin sister Agnes Fanny Whittall. By 1911 the family was living at 31 Broad Street (off East Road), Cambridge, with their son George Edward (also known as Edward George) (1907‒47). At some stage, the family moved to 23 Guildhall Place, the last-but-one house in a continuation of Guildhall Street running a short distance south into the Lion Yard area.
Fanny died of a cerebral haemorrhage on 12 November 1935 at the age of 64, in the County Infirmary, 81A Mill Road. She was buried in Mill Road Cemetery on 16 November in row XII grave no. 21, at a depth of 7 feet. (See her funeral report.)
George Jaggs (1875‒1937)
George Jaggs was born in Jul/Sep 1875 in Fulbourn, near Cambridge. His father, John Ellis Jaggs, was publican of the Coach & Horses public house in Church Street, Fulbourn; his mother was Elizabeth (Eliza) Jaggs. At birth, George had two siblings, Martha (b. 1871) and Ellis (c.1873). By 1881 the family was living at Cutter Premises (near Church Lane), Old Chesterton, John Jaggs’ occupation was now “maltster”. By 1891 the family had moved to 6 Ainsworth Street (Sturton Town), and George, now with a job as a “house boy”, had a new sister, Hilda (c. 1887), and the family had a long-term boarder, Henry Walter King. By 1891 the family was at the same address, but father John had now become a “painter’s labourer”.
(The 1911 census tells us that John Ellis and his wife Elizabeth had by that date been married for 43 years. The couple had had nine children, five of whom had died, the four survivors thus being Martha, Ellis, George and Hilda. Henry Walter King was still boarding with them, aged 74.)
George married Fanny Whittall of Shropshire in c. 1899. By 1901 the couple was living at 10 Calverley Grove, Islington, London, where their first two children had already been born: Hilda Patty Whittall (1900‒33) and her twin sister Agnes Fanny Whittall. At the time, George was a postman. By 1911 the family was living at 31 Broad Street (off East Road), Cambridge, with their son George Edward (or Edward George) (1907‒47). By that date George’s occupation was given as “painter (building)”. In about 1922, the family moved to 23 Guildhall Place, the last-but-one house in a continuation of Guildhall Street running a short distance south into the Lion Yard area of central Cambridge. This address remained in the name “George Jaggs” after George’s death and at least to 1939, most probably until 1947 (presumably having been transferred into George Edward’s name without inclusion of the middle initial). In 1948, after George Edward’s death the previous year, it was put into the name of “Mrs. Jaggs” ‒his wife, Ivy Elizabeth ‒ remaining in that name until 1964.
George died of cancer of the larynx in Addenbrooke’s Hospital on 9 July 1937 aged 61. (See the announcement of his death.) He was buried in Mill Road Cemetery on 13 July in row XII of the Great St Mary’s parish area, grave no. 21, at a depth of 6 feet (i.e. a foot above Fanny). His occupation is given on his death certificate as “Painter (Jam Factory)”.
England census reports 1871‒1911 and census preview 1919
Spalding’s street directories of Cambridge, 1919 to 1964
Grave register of St Mary the Great, Cambridge (Cambridgeshire Archives, P30/1/18)
Death certificates of Fanny and George Jaggs
by Ian Bent, Gina Chandler and Mary Naylor