CFHS code : HT135
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : HENRY STARTE June 23 1927 aged 74 MARY ANN STARTE June 9 1928 aged 80
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Henry Starte (1853 – 23 June 1927)
Henry was a whitesmith/bell hanger and married Mary Ann Wilderspin in 1874. They had eight children: Florence (1875-1947), James Herbert (1878-1963), Ethel Clara (1880-1956), Oliver Harold Baptist (1882-1969), Elsie (1885-), Horace Wilderspin (1887-1963) and two more children who died as infants. They lived at 41 Sturton Street (1881 to at least 1901) and 5 Willow Walk (1911 onwards).
Henry was a member of the baptist church and superintendant of the Sunday School at the Mill Road Mission. In April 1885 the Mission celebrated 4 years since opening and Henry reported that they had started out with seven teachers and 12 scholars, and now had 31 teachers and 260 scholars. He noted that ‘their only difficulty was in their great want of sufficient space and accomodation’. When the foundation stone for the new mission Hall was laid on 1 July 1885, Henry was part of the organising committee and selling of tickets for the event.
He also served as Secretary of the Foresters’ Society (1903). He wrote a letter to the editor of the Cambridge Daily News in December 1903 to clarify a misunderstanding and explained ‘the society lends its funds to its members in advances of £200 each, free of interest, repayable by weekly payments in 13.5 years’. He died at home aged 74 years old.
Mary Ann Starte (née Wilderspin) (c.1848 – 8 June 1928)
Mary was the daughter of bricklayer John (1819-1860) and Elizabeth (née Bidwell), sister of Martha, Rosamund and Emma. She grew up at St Peter’s Street (1851) and 4 Castle Street (1861). Before marrying Henry Starte, Mary worked as a housemaid at New Road, Newnham for W. Eaden Lilley and his wife Rachel. She died at home and her funeral took place on 14 June 1928.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]