CFHS code : HT611
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of ELIZABETH the dearly beloved wife of WILLIAM HENRY AYERS d on Sunday May 25th 1902 aged 67 also of WILLIAM HENRY AYERS d August 7th 1921 aged 80 reverse The Rev [CHARLES] HENRY AYERS b Jan 6 1866 d April 4 1906 his servants shall serve him and they shall see his face WILLIAM ERNEST AYERS son of W H AYERS b July  1864 d November 19 1907
Monument : Stone cross (fallen)/Kerb stones
Above information amendedfrom Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Elizabeth Ayers (née Wallis) (1835 – 25 May 1902)
Born in Newmarket, Elizabeth was the daughter of Thomas and Mary Ann (née Muskett) and sister of Emeny. She was baptised in Newmarket on 29 May 1835. Thomas Wallis was a coachman and Elizabeth grew up on the High Street in Newmarket. She married William Ayers on 10 March 1863 at St. Mary’s Church and they had four children: William Ernest (1864-1907), Rev. Charles Henry (1866-1906), Rev. Frank (1868-1938) and Blanche (1871-1934). They started married life in Newmarket where William was a grocer, and their children were all born in Newmarket. William later worked as a railway guard and the family moved to 102 Gwydir Street (1881), 10 Fitzwilliam Street (1891) and then Guest Road. Elizabeth died at home on Trinity Sunday 1902.
William Henry Ayers (1840 – 7 August 1921)
William was the youngest son of Robert Amey Ayers and Elizabeth (née Elliot) and was born in Lambourn, Berkshire. He was baptised in Lambourn on Christmas Day 1840. In 1861 he was living at Palace House stables, Newmarket, working as a grocer’s assistant and staying with his sister Jessie and brother in law James Godding. James ‘Gem’ Godding was a racehorse trainer, known for training the great racehorse Macaroni. After he was widowed continued to lived with daughter Blanche at Guest Road and died at home at the age of 80.
Rev. Charles Henry Ayers (6 January 1866 – 4 April 1906)
Charles was baptised at St. Mary’s Church in Newmarket on 31 January 1866. He was a student at St. Catherine’s College, Cambridge and graduated with a B.A. in the Classical Tripos (2nd Class) in 1887. He was ordained 1891 and was a curate in Birmingham for a few years before moving to teach at Dean Close School, Cheltenham and Lichfield Grammar School (1900-1903).
In June 1903 he was appointed headmaster of the Choir School, Hull and Prencetor of Holy Trinity Church. Under his leadership the school ‘largely increased in numbers’ and Charles was said to have been a natural teacher. He took an interest ‘in the welfare of the lads, and although not an athlete himself he identified himself with their cricket, their football and sports and was as delighted as they were at their successes’. He was ill for a few days and ‘passed away with painful suddenness’. The funeral was held at Holy Trinity, Hull on 6 April and his body was then taken to Cambridge for interment on 7 April.
William Ernest Ayers (23 July 1864 – 19 November 1907)
William was born in Newmarket and did not marry. He lived with his parents and worked as a printer/compositor. He died at Guest Road aged 43 years old.
Cambridge Alumni Database
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]