CFHS code : PL531
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : In Loving Memory of JOHN ALBERT BARTON late of Southery Norfolk d July 18 1901 aged 57
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
John Albert Barton (1845 – 18 July 1901)
John was born in Hilgay, Norfolk and was baptised on 16 February 1846. He was the son of John and Mary Ann and grew up at the Bell Inn, High Street, Hilgay where his father was a carpenter and publican (1851). John Barton (Snr) was later a builder and farmer of 82 acres in Hilgay (1861). By 1871, John (Jnr) was lodging at the Bell Inn, Southery with his sister Martha and brother in law John Porter and was working as a tailor/outiftter. He married Matilda Sarah Wilson (1848-1880) in 1874 and they had at least three sons: Albert William (1875-1895), Walter Wilson (1876-1879) and Frederick John (1878-1879). The family lived at The Beehive, Southery where John ran a drapers/grocery shop. He was widowed in March 1880 when Matilda died at home and notices of her death read ‘her end was peace’.
He married for a second time on 1 February 1886 at St. Ann’s Church, Stamford Hill, Tottenham to widow Emily Jane Smith (known as Jane) (née Robinson) (1834-). The couple lived in Southery (1891) before retiring to live at 211 Mill Road (1901). John died at home and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 19 July.
His widow Jane moved to live at 36 Mawson Road and was living there with sick nurse Amelia Child in 1911. It is not known when she died.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]