CFHS code : PL

Parish : St Paul

Inscription : [east face] In loving memory of William Edward Bulman Sergeant in the Suffolk Imperial Yeomanry Lieutenant in the Cambridge Fire Brigade who died March 12th 1901 from disease contracted whilst on active service in the South African War aged 29 years Thy will be done Also Milly the well beloved wife of Edward Bulman (& mother of the above) who died November 3rd 1903 aged 53 years He giveth his beloved sleep [south face] In loving memory of Milly the beloved wife of Edward Bulman who died November 3rd 1903 aged 54 years He giveth his beloved sleep [=final inscription]

Monument : obelisk/kerbstones

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.202338, 0.13595097 – click here for location

The monument after restoration in December 2016.
The monument after restoration in December 2016.

Monument
Obelisk on triple plinth, all in dark-grey marble, located in the parish area of St Paul against the west wall just north of the Lodge. The monument was restored in December 2016.

Bulman inscriptions
Bulman inscriptions April 2016

Inscription

[east face:]

‘In loving memory of William Edward Bulman
Sergeant in the Suffolk Imperial Yeomanry
Lieutenant in the Cambridge Fire Brigade
who died March 12th 1901 from disease contracted whilst on
active service in the South African War aged 29 years.’
“Thy will be done”

‘Also Milly the well beloved wife of Edward Bulman
(& mother of the above)
who died November 3rd 1903 aged 53 years.’
“He giveth his beloved sleep”.

[south face:]

‘In loving memory of Milly
the beloved wife of Edward Bulman
who died November 3rd 1903 aged 54 years.
“He giveth his beloved sleep”.

William (Billy) Edward Bulman (1871 ‒ 12 March 1901)Boer War soldier – see also Life Story page

Billy was the only son of Edward and Milly Bulman.  He grew up at 64 Hills Road, where his father had a  butcher’s shop. Aged 20 Billy was assisting his father in the business. He served as a Lieutenant in the Cambridge Volunteer Fire Brigade and as a member of the B Troop, Loyal Suffolk Hussars. He fought in the Boer War, leaving Cambridge at the end of 1899.  Whilst in South Africa he caught enteric fever (typhoid) and returned to Cambridge. Billy died at Hills Road, as a result of complication arising from the fever and was buried in a military funeral on 14 March. A report of the funeral can be read on the Life Story page.

Amelia (Milly) Bulman (née Gross) (1847 – 3 November 1903)

Milly was born in Ely, the daughter of miller James Gross and Sarah (née Smith). She married Edward Bulman (1842-1918) at St. Mary’s Church, Ely on 9 November 1869 and they had at least two children: William Edward and Florence Maud Mary (1875-1972). Edward was from Norfolk, but was living in Cambridge when they married.  They lived at 65 Burleigh Street (1871) and then Hills Road (at least 1881 onwards). Milly died at home, and her funeral took place on 6 November.  Her age is stated as 53 years on the grave monument, but she is believed to have been 56 years old when she died.

From parish burial records it is known that Edward Bulman was also buried in the same grave.

Edward Bulman (1842 – 9 February 1918)

Edward was born in the village of Litcham, ten miles north east of Swaffham, Norfolk and baptised there on 1 May 1842. He was the son of  tailor William Bulman and dressmaker Ann and aged 19 was living in Fakenham, working as a butcher. He later moved to Cambridge and married Milly Gross when he was 27 years old. Newspaper adverts from 1889 read ‘Edward Bulman, family butcher (purveyor to H.R.H. the Prince of Wales)’.

He retired in June 1909 and the business was auctioned. It  consisted of ‘highly valuable freehold business premises, occupying a commanding position in a main thoroughfare in the town of Cambridge’. The shop was described as ‘double fronted..with a good yard, approached by double entrance gates, convenient outbuildings and stabling, a large slaughter house with bullock and sheep pens’. Edward also owned land/buildings on Cherry Hinton Road made up of ‘two freehold houses, brick built and slated, with good gardens, 5 capital well-fenced paddocks, surrounded by a belt of fruit trees in full bearing, extensive covered yard, stabling etc. Also a brick built and slated cottage, with greenhouse and good garden, kitchen garden and pleasure garden tastefully laid out, the whole of the property occupying an area of 7A. 1R. 36p (7 acres, 1 rood and 36 perches) and well adapted for the requirements of a cattle dealer, or it could be developed into a first class building estate’.

Edward married Katherine Alice (Kitty) (1878-1959) on 8 April 1911 at St. Michael’s Church, Ramsey near Harwich, Essex. It is believed that Kitty had a son Edward (1909-1986) who was adopted by Edward and they lived at 75 Hills Road (1916). He at home died aged 75 years old and was buried with his first wife and son on 13 February.

In February 1919 Kitty Bulman placed an ‘In Memoriam’ in the Cambridge Independent Press which read ‘in loving membory of my dear husband, Edward Bulman who fell asleep on the 9th of February 1918. Gone from a world of toil and strife, he is present with the Lord; the labours of a well spent life, end in a great reward’. In 1939 Kitty and son Edward were still living at 75 Hills Road. Kitty later moved to Lyndewode Road and died in Cambridge aged 81 years old.

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS

By Ian Bent with additional information by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Milly Bulman; William Edward Bulman