CFHS code : MG31

Parish : St Mary the Great

Inscription : In Loving Memory of C C C BUOL b Oct 12 1894 d Oct 22 1896 also dearly beloved husband and father J G BUOL b Nov 4 1860 d Aug 13 1917

Monument : Stone cross

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.202294, 0.13742693 – click here for location

Buol grave
Buol cross

Monument

This stone cross, in the parish area of St Mary the Great, is located four rows east of the central path.  Due to the instability of the cross, the monument was restored in 2016, funded jointly by the City Council and FOMRC.

Inscription

In Loving Memory of C C C BUOL born Oct 12 1894 died Oct 22 1896

Also dearly beloved husband and father J G BUOL born Nov 4 1860 died Aug 13 1917

John George Buol (4 November 1860 – 13 August 1917)

John was a Swiss national, who was born in Davos.  He married fellow Swiss national Charlotte Felise Diserens in Dover on 5th November 1882.  Together they had at least seven children: Marguerite [1884-], Charles Georges [1885-], Christian Louis [1886-], Edelweiss [1887-1932], Henri [1888-1943], Christian Constant Charles [1894-1896] and Felise Pauline [1898-].  He worked as a confectioner and restauranteur.  He owned restaurants in Scarborough and Broadstairs before moving to Brighton where he owned one restaurant on Kings Road and another on the Lower Esplanade – ‘both of which were favourite resorts with townspeople and visitors alike’. He came to and opened Boul’s Restaurant at 7-18 Kings Parade in around 1895.  He also owned restaurants in Oxford and Nottingham.  When the census of 1901 was taken the family were living at 21 Corn Market Street in Oxford, and John was described as arestaurateur and coffee house owner.

In December 1898 The Cambridge Independent Press ran a culinary article promising ‘this is a time saving age and the housewife who is content to entrust some of her culinary duties to the professional hand will have not difficulty in this respect at Cambridge’.  They noted that ‘those  who have formed the habit of doing the shops never fail to visit Mr. Boul’s establishment on King’s Parade. There is always an interesting model which attracts general attention. This year it is to be a model of H.M.S. Formidable, the latest battleship launched – a model made of such delectable materials as chocolate, sweets and biscuits. Confectionary, Christmas cakes and artistic cookery are also shown in great variety’. (H.M.S. Formidable was a pre-dreadnought battleship which was launched in November 1898, so would have been very topical).

He retired to Lausanne in Switzerland for a brief period in 1907, but then returned to Great Britain and settled in Cambridge. He was taken ill with kidney trouble at the start of July and died at the Hostel on Thompson’s Lane.  His obituary in the Cambridge Daily News on 16th August described him as ‘very well known and popular in Cambridge’ and that ‘Mr Buol dearly loved a joke and his jovial good humour made him very popular where ever he went’.

He left an estate valued at £21,641 15s and 4d [£1.8m in 2019 values] and the details of his will was also published in the local newspapers when it was published.  Many of his children returned to live in Switzerland after his death.

Christian Constant Charles Buol (12 October 1894 – 22 October 1896)

Christian was born in Cambridge, and died just after his 2nd Birthday.

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Christian Constant Charles Buol; John George Buol