CFHS code : PL69
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : Sacred to the Memory of JOHN CARROLL d 24 Jan 1859 aged 53 also MARY CARROLL widow d 5 Sept 1877 aged 80 and ALICE LAURA daughter 6 Feb 1942 aged 70
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
The two headstones of the Carroll family are south of the south path, eighteen rows from the entrance. Lichens have eroded some of the inscriptions.
‘Sacred to the Memory of JOHN CARROLL who died Jan 24 1859 aged 53 years
Also MARY CARROLL widow of the above who died Sept. 5. 1877 aged 80 years’
“For here we have no continuing city
But we seek one to come”
And ALICE LAURA daughter of George Carroll who passed peacefully away Feb 6 1942 aged 70 years.
Relationship: Husband, wife and granddaughter
John Carroll (c 1805 – 1859)
John was born in St Neots, Huntingdonshire. He married Mary Barber on April 8th 1836 at the church of St Andrew the Less, Newmarket Road, Cambridge. When their only child, George, was born in 1841, they were living in Russell Street. John was working as a gardener despite, according to R.J. Flood “Cambridge Breweries”, having bought the land, in what later became Russell Street, and had built the Alma Brewery by 1838, when he supplied three barrels of beer for the coronation feast on Parker’s Piece.
John died in Russell Street
Mary Carroll (née Barber) (c 1797 – 1877)
Mary was born in Harleston Norfolk. After her husband’s death Mary took over the running of the brewery with the help of her son George. They lived at 58 Russell Street. Mary was living in Bateman Street when she died.
Alice Laura Carroll (1872 – 1942)
Alice was the daughter of George and Georgina Carroll. She was living at 96 Chesterton Road when she died.
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
R J Flood “Cambridge Breweries” a copy can be found in the Cambridgeshire Collection , Central Library.
CFHS transcripts of parish and census records.
By Mary Naylor