CFHS code : AG311
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : In Loving Memory of MARY EMMA CLARKE b Aug 21 1854 d [Aug] 29 1875 also of WILLIAM CLARKE b —- 27 1817 d 10 Jun 1885 also of ELIZABETH CLARKE b Jan 29 1826 d June 1st 1906
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203092, 0.13652862 – click here for location
William Clarke (1817 – 10 June 1885)
William was the son of Rebecca Clarke. He was born in Thetford, Norfolk and baptised there on 5th June 1818. No father’s name is recorded on his baptism records. He married Elizabeth Scott and they had at least two daughters: Ann Sarah (1851-1939) and Mary Emma (1854-1875).
In 1851 the family were living at Cambridge Railway Station where William was the station master.
From 1856 onwards he took over the running of the Castle Inn, 38 St Andrew’s Street and took out an advert in the Cambridge Chronicle and Journal in March 1856 to announce his new venture.
Elizabeth Clarke (nee Scott) (29 January 1826 – 1 June 1906)
Elizabeth was the daughter of St John college cook David James Scott, and his wife Sarah. She grew up with her siblings at 14 Ram’s Yard. She married William Clarke, and helped him to run the Castle Inn, on St Andrew’s Street.
After his death she moved to St Paul’s Place (1891) and lived there with a cook and domestic servant. By 1901 she was living at 17 Tenison Road, with Eliza Mallows a general servant. She died aged 80 years old.
Mary Emma Clarke (21 August 1854 – 29 August 1875)
Mary Emma was the youngest daughter of William and Elizabeth. She grew up at the Castle Inn, St Andrew’s Street and died there just after her 21st birthday.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]