CFHS code : PL374
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : In Loving Memory of WILLIAM EDMUND CURREY Sometime Fellow of Trinity College Cambridge and one of HM Inspectors of School born at Lismore 10 Dec 1840 died at Cambridge 3 Dec 1908 This cross was erected by his widow
Monument : Celtic cross/Kerb stones
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This sturdy cross and kerb stones, in the parish area of St Paul, are hidden in ivy and bramble 3 rows west of the central path and about half way between the south path and the north boundary of the parish. The inscription is very clear but partially obscured by a tree trunk.
In Loving Memory of WILLIAM EDMUND CURREY Sometime Fellow of Trinity College Cambridge and one of H M’s Inspectors of Schools.
Born at Lismore 10 Dec 1840 died at Cambridge 3 Dec 1908
This cross was erected by his widow
William Edmund Currey (10 December 1840 – 3 December 1908)
William was born at Lismore Castle, Lismore in County Waterford in Ireland. He was the eldest son of Francis Edmund (1814-1896) and Anna (1820-1890) Currey. Francis Currey was a Cambridge graduate and barrister, who worked as a land agent for the Duke of Devonshire from 1839 onwards. He worked at the Duke’s home at Lismore Castle, and was considered a key influencer during the Great Irish famine (1845-1849). The failure of the potato crop in 1845 put the whole country under great pressure, and Francis Currey was said to have run the Lismore estate with efficiency, kindness and justice. The Duke of Devonshire was regarded a good landlord as a result, and Francis Currey ensured that there were generous contriubtions to the relief schemes. Francis also managed the extensive building work that took place at the castle during the 1850’s, when the castle was remodelled by Sir Joseph Paxton. When he died he was commemorated by a stained glass window in Lismore’s St. Carthage Cathedral, for his impact on the community.
William Currey went to Harrow School, and then to Trinity College Cambridge in 1858. He got his BA in 1863, and his MA in 1866. He worked at Trinity College as a Tutor from 1866-1871. In April 1871 he was made an Inspector of Schools. He married Emma Jane Bennett (1849-c.1936) on 20 May 1871. The couple lived at Park Street in Towcester (1881) and then at 77 Warwick Road in Kensington (at least 1891-1899). They do not appear to have had any children.
By 1901 the couple had moved back to Cambridge and were living at Mostyn House on Brooklands Avenue, with a cook and parlourmaid. On the 1901 census William’s occupation is recorded as ‘one of H.M Inspectors of Schools’. He died aged 67 years old at his home at Romsey House, Mill Road. His probate records document him as ‘Chief Inspector of schools Eastern Division’.
Cambridge Alumni Database
Lismore Castle/Chatsworth House information
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]