CFHS code : AG211
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : In Loving Memory of FREDERIC VINCENT DE LISLE MA Oct 17 1876 – Sep 20 1929 also his sister FLORENCE ELIZABETH DE LISLE April 20 1870 – Aug 14 1954
Monument : Stone cross
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202951, 0.1363755 – click here for location
This substantial cross stands 2 rows from the west wall roughly in line with the path that leads from the centre circle. It cannot be seen from the west path as the area is very overgrown.
In Loving Memory of FREDERIC VINCENT DE LISLE MA
Oct 17 1876 – Sep 20 1929
Also his sister FLORENCE ELIZABETH DE LISLE
April 20 1870 – Aug 14 1954
“We will not fail Thee”
Frederick and Florence were the children of Elizabeth (née Whitmore) and Francis De Lisle
Frederic Vincent de Lisle (1876-1929)
Frederick was baptised Vincent Frederick at the church of St Andrew the Great on January 14th 1877. He was the youngest child of Elizabeth (née Whitmore) and Francis De Lisle, a wine merchant. Frederick was born at 57 Bateman Street, Cambridge and went to the Perse School. His father died when he was 13 and when not a school he lived with his mother and at his maternal grandfather’s house. He went to Cambridge University as a non-collegiate student in 1894, and then to Peterhouse in 1896. He was awarded a B.A. in 1897 and an M.A in 1925. As a student he played both football and cricket for the University. After graduating Frederick worked as a school master at Highbury House School in Hastings (1901) and was then the assistant master at Bedford County School in Kempston (1913). He then worked in Sierre Leone as Principal of the Bo Teachers College. He is believed to have held the role for 15 years, and details of his annual return sailings from Africa to Liverpool are documented from 1920 to 1929. He arrived in Liverpool on 22 July 1929, and died in the Royal Sussex Hospital, Brighton 2 months later, aged 52 years.
Florence Elizabeth De Lisle (1870-1954)
Florence was born in Cambridge, the eldest child of Elizabeth and Francis and was baptised at All Saints Church on 26 May 1870. In 1871 the family were at 15 Trumpington Street, Cambridge. In 1911 she was living with her mother at 28 Glisson Road. She sold the house in 1939 via private sale and moved to live at 129 Coleridge Road. Florence died at the Evelyn Nursing Home.
The grave of their uncle George Frederick Whitmore is in the same row to the south.
Cambridge University Alumni Database
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]