CFHS code : HT509
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of EDITH LOUISA the beloved daughter of CLEMENT HENRY & EDITH ELLIS d April 22 1890 in the [6th] year of her age also ERNEST GEORGE ELLIS d March 13 1897 aged 3 months EDITH ANN ELLIS d Jan 25 1912 aged 52 also CLEMENT HENRY ELLIS d May 6 1927 aged 72
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones/Flowerholder
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This headstone is four rows east of the central path, close to the Goldfinch artwork.
In Loving Memory of EDITH LOUISA the beloved daughter of
CLEMENT HENRY & EDITH ELLIS died April 22 1890 in the 6th year of her age
“Suffer little children to come unto me for of such is the kingdom of Heaven.”
Also ERNEST GEORGE ELLIS died March 13 1897 aged 3 months
EDITH ANN ELLIS died Jan 25 1912 aged 52
Also CLEMENT HENRY ELLIS d May 6 1927 aged 72
Edith Louisa Ellis (1885 – 22 April 1890)
Edith died at 4 Willow Walk aged 5 years old.
Ernest George Ellis (1896 – 13 March 1897)
Ernest died at 27 New Square and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 16 March 1897.
Edith Ann Ellis (née Ellwood) (1859 – 25 January 1912)
Edith was born in Great Gransden, a village sixteen miles west of Cambridge and was baptised there on 25 September 1859. Her parents were Charles and Ann Ellwood and they later moved to live at Madingley Road (1871) where Charles worked as an agricultural labourer and Ann as a dressmaker. Aged 12 Edith was working as a shirt maker. She married Clement Ellis on 22 August 1878 at St. Michael’s Church and they had five children: Edith Louise, Ethel Kate (1888-), Maud Alice Kate (1890-1984), Clement Henry Humbert (1894-1962) and Ernest George. After they married Clement ran the Queen’s Arms, 8 St Andrew’s Street (1881-at least 1883), but he later became a collector of Market tolls and they lived at 4 Willow Walk (1889- 1892), New Square (at least 1893-1901), 5 Parker Street (1901 onwards). Edith died at Addenbrooke’s Hospital aged 52 years and her funeral took place on 29 January 1912.
Clement Henry Ellis (1855 – 6 May 1927)
Clement was born in Beccles, Suffolk and baptised in Broome, Norfolk on 21 March 1856. He was the eldest son of John and Louise Ellis and his parents had moved to 27 Gold Street by the time he was 10 years old, where John Ellis worked as a smith. In 1871 Clements was 16 years old and living at 4 Petty Cury, where he worked as a porter for a chemist/druggist.
Markets were held at the General Market, the Corn Exchange and the Cattle Market and Clement was responsible for the General Market tolls, however his reponsibilty also extended to circus fees, and events such as Midsummer Fair. In 1889 the stall holders at the General Market complained about the lack of facilities and Clement gave evidence to the public enquiry. The ‘new’ cattlemarket had been open for three years, as the previous one was felt to be too far from the railway station. The General Market was held on Market Hill and the stall holders were provided with stalls. The 187 stall holders felt that the stalls provided insufficient shelter from the snow and rain, especially the butchers at the market. The rent for a six square foot stall was 2s, 6d per week and the market tolls in 1887 were £1044, 3s 1d (versus £994, 8s, 4d in 1877). The public inquiry heard arguments of a covered market versus the current open air one.
Edith and Clement’s Son Clement Henry served in the 1st World War and was reported missing in March 1917. He was a prisoner of war and was exchanged for German soldiers in May 1918. The Cambridge Daily News reported ‘he is in the King George Hospital, Waterloo where he is receiving every attention. His eyesight has been permanently injured, the right eye and socket being completely excised and the other very badly injured. He has also a bad wound in the left cheek. On being discharged from hospital he will enter the St. Dunstan’s Hospital for the blind for a course of training’. Clement (Jnr) trained as a telephone operator and married Rosa Raymond in 1922.
Clement Henry Ellis died at Addenbrooke’s Hospital and his funeral took place on 10 May 1927.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]