CFHS code : PL40
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : side 1 In Loving Memory of EMMA wife of GEORGE KIMM b Oct   d Sept 11  side 2 In Loving Remembrance of FREDERICK FITZJOHN son of GEORGE and EMMA KIMM b Dec 16 1881 d May 28 1883 side 3 also of GEORGE KIMM d Jan 29 1929 aged 
Monument : Stone cross (part missing)
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This cross in the parish of St Paul’s is about 28 rows east of the Mackenzie Road gate close to the southern boundary wall. It is hidden by vegetation and has not yet been photographed.
side 1 In Loving Memory of EMMA wife of GEORGE KIMM b Oct   d Sept 11 
side 2 In Loving Remembrance of FREDERICK FITZJOHN son of GEORGE and EMMA KIMM b Dec 16 1881 d May 28 1883
side 3 Also of GEORGE KIMM d Jan 29 1929 aged 81
The grave register shows that Fanny Fitzjohn is also buried here.
Frederick Fitzjohn Kimm (16 December 1881 – 28 May 1883)
Frederick was the eldest son of George and Emma Kimm. He died at Mill Road aged 17 months old and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 31 May.
Fanny Fitzjohn ( 1843 – 12 March 1893)
Fanny was the fourth daughter of Robert and Catherine (née Sherhod) Fitzjohn, sister of Emma Kimm and was born and raised in March, Cambridgeshire. Robert was a miller and baker, and the family lived on the High Street, March. Fanny lived at home with her parents until their deaths and is then thought to have gone to live with Emma and brother in law George Kimm. She died at Waveney House, 3 Thorpe Road, Norwich aged 50 years old and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 16 March.
Emma Kimm (née Fitzjohn) (11 October 1851 – 11 September 1925)
Emma was Fanny’s younger sister and also grew up in March. She married George Kimm in 1872 and they had six children: Catherine Fitzjohn (1877-1934), Fanny Fitzjohn (1880-1976), Frederick Fitzjohn, Gertrude Fitzjohn (1885-1931), Alexander (1887-1939) and Mabel Rosamund (1889-1980). George was stationmaster at Cambridge station and in 1881 the family were living at Cornetta Villa, 59 Mill Road. By 1877 they had moved to Norwich , as he had been promoted to District Superintendant. In 1901 the family had returned to Cambridge and lived at 2 Dorset Terrace, 74 Hills Road. George and Emma moved briefly to live in Ipswich (at least 1915) but returned to Cambridge and lived at 4 Rock Road. Emma died at home aged 73 years old.
George Kimm (4 February 1847 – 27 January 1929)
George was born in Little Baddow, a village east of Chelmsford, Essex. He was the son of James and Susannah (née Cooper) and grew up in Little Baddow where his father was a miller. George started working as a railway clerk aged 13 years old and in 1861 was living with his family in Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire. In 1863 he came to Cambridge to work in the District Superintendent’s office, where he was part of the team which organised the opening of what was at the time the longest platform in England. He then went to be stationmaster at Godmanchester and March. In 1871 he was lodging at the Chequers Inn, March which is presumably where he met his future wife. By 1876 he was stationmaster at Cambridge. In February 1876 he chaired the annual Great Eastern Railway Servants’ Supper at the Lion Hotel. The Cambridge Independent Press reported ‘after an excellent served supper, the chairman proceeded with the toast-list. After the toast of ‘the Queen, the Prince and Princess of Wales, and the rest of the Royal Family’ which was received by the company rising and singing the National Anthem, he proposed ‘The Chairman and Board of Directors and Official of the Great Eastern Railway’ referring to the enterprising spirit they had of late shown in the management of the railway’. In July 1880 George was commended in the local press for his efforts in helping the smooth journey of the Cambridge Church Temperance Society’s trip to Hunstanton. Upwards of 1,100 passengers made the day trip (including 550 children). The party enjoyed the seaside activities, but due to rain had to have their lunch on board the trains.
In his spare time George was the ‘indefatigable honorary secretary of the St. Barnabas Musical Society’ and was a keen amateur singer (1880). He also served as a churchwarden at St. Barnabas Church. He was also said to have been very good at both cricket and athletics.
In March 1884 , George was promoted to the role of District Superintendant, Norwich. The Cambridge Independent Press indicated their support for his promotion by reporting ‘Mr. George Kimm, who has for some years efficiently discharged the duties of Station Master, and is well aquainted with the workings of the district; he has made an exceedingly favourable impression by his uniform courtesy’ and later noting that the appointment had been ‘very favourably received’. The family moved to live in Norwich, and George’s name was often mentioned in local newspapers where he was the guest of honour at suppers for railway employees across the county.
In October 1893 George was appointed District Superintendant of Great Eastern Railway, Cambridge. The Cambridge Independent Press welcomed him back to the town reporting ‘we heartily welcome him back again, and hope his stay in this district will be as pleasant and creditable as it has been in Norwich’. He left his role in Norwich in December 1893 and was presented with ‘a handsome gold lever watch as a token of esteem and regard…an illuminated address..a silver teapot and cream jug, together with a volume containing the names of the subscribers bound in morocco, and an illuminated address from the railway staff, and also with a handsome album containing their portraits from the relieving staff’.
In July 1894 a five day Royal Show was held in Cambridge, and George was in charge of the railway plans. The Prince and Princess of Wales attended the show and over 111,000 people from across the country attended, with 76,000 people arriving by train. In addition there was livestock to transport to the show – 30 livestock trains alone left on the final day of the show. A new platform was built at Mill Road Bridge and on one day 80 trains arrived and departed from Cambridge. Daily express trains ran to and from St. Pancras on the show days, and express trains were run between Lincoln, doncaster and York. Queen Victoria sent live stock to the show from Balmoral and many members of the nobility attended. George was commended in the local press for his excellent organisation.
George had many interactions with the Royal family who recognised his good service. In December 1895 The King of Portugal travelled from London to Sandringham, and then from Sandringham to Balmoral to visit the Queen. George Kimm was in charge of the train and was presented with a ‘gold scarf pin with a jewelled crown surmounting His Majesty’s initial ‘C’ set in diamonds’. In August 1905 the Prince of Wales travelled from Sandringham to London and George was in charge of the Royal Train. The Prince presented him with a ‘handsome scarf pin bearing the Prince of Wales feathers in gold, surrounded by pearls, in recognition of services rendered to his Royal Highness and the Princess in their frequent journeys from Wolferton to London’. To coincide with the presentation of the pin from the Prince the Cambridge Independent Press printed an article reporting ‘the travelling public will learn of this incident with pleasure, for, in spite of the worries and responsiblities of a large and important office, Mr. Kimm remains one of the most urbane and courteous of men, and is well known and respected not only in Cambridge, but throughout the Eastern counties..he has been invariably in charge of the Royal trains to and from Sandringham for many years, and naturally there have been many special calls upon the resources of his office in connection with visits of distinguished persons and events in connection with the University’.
George retired from Great Eastern Railway at the end of June 1912 after 52 years service and his salary when he retired was £550 per annum. He died home aged 81 and his funeral took place on 30 January 1929.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]