CFHS code : MG197

Parish : St Mary the Great

Inscription : In Loving Memory of ROBERT CLEMENT GIBSON d 22 Oct 1906 aged 42 also wife KATIE d 1 Jan 1953 aged 76

Monument : Kerb stones

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.202049, 0.13802984 – click here for location

Gibson grave
Gibson kerb stones



Robert Clement Gibson (1865 –  22  October 1906)

Robert was the son of John and Mary Ann (née Edis) and grew up at Fitzroy Street. John Gibson (1837-1869) was a printer who died when Robert was 2 years old . Mary Gibson married for a second time in May 1870 to harnessmaker James Dutton (1833-1896) and in 1871 Robert was living at 106 Fitzroy Street with his mother, step father and sister Caroline.  Aged 16 Robert was working as a printer’s apprentice and living with his grandmother Sarah Gibson at the King Street Almshouses.  He later joined the Suffolk Regiment as a soldier and in 1891 was a sergeant based at the Colchester barracks.

Robert married Katie Day in 1897 and they had three daughters:  Caroline Mabel (1898-1979), Ethel May (1900-1985) and Violet Winifred (1903-).  When the 1901 census was taken Robert was stationed in St. Peter Port in Guernesey with the 3rd Batallion, Suffolk Regiment.  In September 1904 Robert  testified in the trial of deserter George Ward, who was charged with being absent without leave. Robert left the army on 22 September 1905 after twenty years service and the Gibson family moved to live at 22 St. Matthew’s Street.

On 1 October 1906 Robert appeared in front of the magistrates court accused of two charges.  The first charge was of usuing ‘obscene language in South Street’ the previous night.  He had been managing the Fox and Duck public house and asked to speak to P.S. Free.  When the policeman  approached him he used obscene language and was cautioned.  In court P.S. Free testified that ‘the defendant was very excited and appeared as if he had been drinking heavily’.  He was fined 5s including costs for this offence. The second charge was for the assault of William Linsdell, sub-postmaster in King Street on the same day. Robert had wanted to cash a money order, and had gone to the post office several times during the day and each time had not brought the order with him.  He had wanted William Linsdell to pay him out some or all of the money on account, which William had said he was unable to do. Robert had ‘then used abusive language and struck witness across the eyes with his open hand and followed this blow up with a violet push which sent him against the shutter of the door with considerable force. The defendant had had drink, but was sober. Witness had to cross the road and take refuge in another shop where he remained until a police officer appeared on the scene and induced the defendant to go away’. Robert Gibson was fined an additional 30s for the second offence.

Robert was subsequently hospitalised in Camberwell, London and died there on 22 October 1906.

Katie Maria Gibson (née Day) (27 December 1876 – 1 January 1953)

Katie was born in Fen Stanton and was the daughter of James and Ann.  Her father was an agricultural labourer and she grew up in Soham and then Boxworth.  Aged 15 she was working as a domestic servant and living at home with her parents and siblings before marrying Robert Gibson when she was 19 years old.

After she was widowed she lived at 22 Adam and Eve Row (1911) and 41 Grafton Street (1932 onwards) and worked as a college bedmaker. In 1939 she was living at Grafton Street with her daughter Caroline who was a clerk/bursar.



Newspaper archives

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at]

Katie Gibson; Robert Clement Gibson