CFHS code : ML36
Parish : St Mary the Less
Inscription : In Memory of WILLIAM HENRY GUILLEMARD DD for over 17 years vicar of St Mary the Less Cambridge b Nov 23rd 1815 d Sep 2nd 1887 ELISABETH SUSANNA his wife b May 24th 1823 d Dec 4th 1886 and ELISABETH SUSANNA their eldest daughter b May 23rd 1850 d Nov 7th 1873
Monument : Cruciform Coped stone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202781, 0.13783082 – click here for location
This cruciform coped stone, located in the parish of Mary the Less, is about 4 rows from east of the centre circle roughly in the centre of the parish. It has been covered in ivy for many years and we have not been able to see the inscription.
In Memory of WILLIAM HENRY GUILLEMARD DD for over 17 years vicar of St Mary the Less Cambridge b Nov 23rd 1815 d Sep 2nd 1887
ELISABETH SUSANNA his wife b May 24th 1823 d Dec 4th 1886
And ELISABETH SUSANNA their eldest daughter b May 23rd 1850 d Nov 7th 1873
Rev. Dr. William Henry Guillemard (23 November 1815 – 2 September 1887)
William was born in Hackney and baptised there on 13 January 1816. He was the son of silk merchant Daniel and Susan (née Venn) and went to Christ’s Hospital School. He went up to Pembroke College, Cambridge in December 1833, and was awarded a B.A. in the Classical Tripos in 1838, an M.A. in 1841. He was 38th wrangler, and sixth in the 1st Class Classical Tripos. He was a Crosse Scholar (1838) and recieved the Tyrwhitt Hebrew scholarship in 1841. He was made a fellow (1838), Bachelor of Divinity (B.D.) (1849) and Doctor of Divinity (D.D.) (1870). He lectured in classics and worked as a private tutor before marrying Elisabeth Turner on 12 July 1849 in Knightsbridge. He wrote several publications inlcuding ‘Greek Testament (Hebraistic Edition) in 1875.
The couple had at least six children: Elisabeth Susannah (1850-1873), Rosmond Harriet (1854-1895), Mary Frances (1856-1930), Katherine Stephanie (1860-1931), Sir Laurence Nunns (1862-1931) and Lucy Jane (1866-1926). William was headmaster of the Royal School, Armagh from 1848-1869 and his children were all born in Ireland. The family returned to Cambridge in 1869 when he was made Vicar of St. Mary the Less (1869-1886). They lived at 2 Hills Road (1871) and 5 St. Peter’s Terrace (1881). He was widowed in 1886 and resigned his post of vicar three weeks later – it was reported that ‘for some considerable time, Dr. Guillemard has not been in very good health and the death of his wife…was a severe blow to him’. Due to ill-health he was said to have spent several winters in Madeira and Southern Europe during his life.
William was a member of the ‘Oxford movement’ which was a movement of high church believers within the Church of England. He was said to have been responsible for bringing the movement to Cambridge University. He was also ‘an energetic member’ of the Cambridge Camden Society, which sought to revive church architecture and ritual. During his time as vicar of St. Mary the Less he was reported to have ‘exercised a wholesome influence as an anglican of the old stamp’. He was also secretary of the Cambridge and Isle of Ely Board of Education. He died at Waterbeach at the age of 71 and was buried on 7 September. His body had been brought back to Cambridge and lay in the chancel of St. Mary the Less for two days before the service.
Elisabeth Susanna Guillemard (née Turner) (24 May 1823 – 4 December 1886)
Elisabeth was born in Birmingham and was the daughter of William Hammond Turner and Elisabeth (née Nunns). William Turner was a button manufacturer, and more of his life can be read here. Elisabeth died at St. Peter’s Terrace aged 63 years.
Elisabeth Susanna Guillemard (23 May 1850 – 7 November 1873)
(The name was also sometimes spelt Elizabeth)
Elisabeth was born in Armagh and moved to Cambridge when she was 19 years old.
Cambridge Alumni Database
Dictonary of National Biography
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]