CFHS code : MG82
Parish : St Mary the Great
Inscription : Sacred to the Memory of EDWARD JAMES HASDELL d 2 Feb 1935 and his wife CAROLINE HASDELL d 15 Dec 1969
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202124, 0.13785783 – click here for location

Monument
Inscription
Edward James Hasdell (1871 – 2 February 1935)
Edward was born in Peterborough and was the son of Frederick and Esther (née Towell). Edward worked as a railway clerk like his father and married his cousin Caroline Allen in 1897. They lived at Ainsworth Street (1901) and then at 35 St. Phllip’s Road (at least 1911 onwards) and had one daughter: Marjorie Beryl (1898-1960). Edward was a sidesman at St. Phillip’s Church and a member of the Great Eastern Railway Men’s Ambulance Corp. He died aged 63 years old.
Caroline Hasdell (née Allen) (16 March 1875 – 15 December 1969)
Caroline was the daughter of James and Hannah (née Hasdell), sister of Frederick and grew up at 46 Broad Street. Her father was a railway engine driver and she married Edward when she was 22 years old. The couple worshipped at St. Phillip’s Church on Mill Road and in 1917 Caroline made a linen cloth for the Holy Communion table in order to celebrate the 20 year anniverasary of Rev. Charles Howard at the church. She continued to live at 35 St. Phillip’s Road until at least 1946 and died in Melbourn, Cambridgeshire aged 94 years old.
Sources:
Ancestry
Newspaper archives
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
