CFHS code : PL233
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : HARRIETT AGNES HUDSON born Dec 10 1847 d June 8 1875 PHILIP
Monument : Stone cross
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This broken cross is midway between the lodge and the central path and 7 monuments north of the south path. Unfortunately it is under a large ivy bush. The inscription for Agnes is formed of metal letters which are mostly intact. The cross has fallen next to the plinth.
We were unable to see the inscription for Philip but the grave register shows that he was also buried here in 1914 aged 70.
HARRIETT AGNES HUDSON
Born December 10th 1847.
Died June 8th 1875.
Harriett Agnes Hudson (Agnes)(née Fisher) (10 December 1847 – 8 June 1875)
Harriett was known by her middle name of Agnes and was the daughter of Francis and Anna Susan (Annie) (née Rogers) Fisher. Her mother was born in Sri Lanka, and had married Francis in Sydney in 1837, the couple had stayed in Australia until at least 1846, but then moved to Cambridge where they lived at Ely Road in Chesterton (1851). Francis Fisher was described on census records as a land owner but had previously been Crown Solicitor of the New South Wales and Attorney General of New Zealand. Agnes was their fourth child and went to boarding school in Reigate (1871). She married college cook Philip Llewelyn Hudson on 17 October 1865 at St. Paul’s Church. Llewelyn as he was known was the son of Philip Samuel Hudson (1815-1888) who was college cook at Trinity, and Llewelyn also worked at Trinity College.
Agnes and Llewlyn had at least eight children: Arthur Llewelyn (1866-1887), Hilda Ellen (1868-1948), Francis Edwin (1869-1937), Mabel (1871-1922), Edith Mary (1872-1949), Percy Llewellyn (1873-1955), Ernest (1874-1874) and Alfred (1874-1874). In 1871 the family were living at 4 Trumpington Street and Agnes died aged 27 years old.
Philip Llewelyn (Llewelyn) Hudson (14 October 1844 – 11 April 1914)
Llewelyn was the son of Philip and Ellen (née Roberts) Hudson and grew up at Hinton Cottage (1851) and then at The Farm on Hills Road (1861). His father was a college cook, who was employing 35 people in the Trinity kitchen in 1861. The family had moved to live at a large farm/market garden simply known as ‘The Farm’ which was on the corner of Hills Road and Cherry Hinton Road. He married Harriett Fisher when he was 20 years old. After he was widowed he lived at 5 Benet Place (1881) with daughters Mabel and Edith and four domestic servants – the boys were all at boarding schools at the time.
He later became a brewer and purchased two breweries in 1888, after which he moved to live in Pampisford. He married for a second time in 1898 to Annie Astill (1872-1947) and they had one daughter: Annie Muriel (1900-1987). He died in Pampisford and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 15 April. A service was held at St. Paul’s Church which the Cambridge Independent Press reported to be ‘impressive’ and the coffin was carried by employees of the brewery. He was said to be ‘highly respected by all who knew him and he will be greatly missed’. The brewery was run by his son Francis Edwin after his death. Llewelyn died leaving an estate valued at £29,308 0s, 1d (£2.3m at 2018 values).
CFHS grave register
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]