CFHS code : AS241
Parish : All Saints
Inscription : In Loving Memory of JOHN MATTHEW d Oct 1 1889 in the 78th year of his life also MARY AN MATTHEW wife of the above who died on her birthday June 20 1894 aged 73 also of FRANCES MATTHEW their daughter d Sept 16 1930 aged 83 also of KATHERINE MATTHEW their daughter d Feb 12th 1932 aged 72
Monument : Stone cross/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Large stone cross on triple plinth, with kerb stones, in the parish area of All Saints, located toward the northwest corner of the cemetery, where the path from Norfolk Street is crossed by a pathway to the central path.
‘In loving memory of John Matthew
died Oct 1 1889 in the 78th year of his life’
‘Also of Mary Ann Matthew wife of the above
who died on her birthday June 20 1894 aged 73’
‘Also of Frances Matthew their daughter
died Sept 16 1930 aged 83 years.’
‘Also of Katherine Matthew their daughter
died Feb 12th 1932 aged 72 years.’
John and Mary Ann Matthew were parents of Frances and Katherine Matthew and also of Henry John, Frederick William, Frederick George, Sidney (1), Sidney (2) and Charles James Matthew. William Cooper Atkins and Henry Girling Atkins were the father and brother respectively of Mary Ann Atkins.
John Matthew (c.1812‒89)
John Matthew was born in London, where his family owned a brush-making business. His elder brother David (not buried here) moved to Cambridge in 1829, and in 1832, in partnership with a John Gent, set up a business at 25 Trinity Street (now part of the Whewell’s Court site, opposite the Trinity College gate) selling grocery, china and glassware. John Matthew moved to Cambridge in 1833 and worked with his brother, taking the business over in 1849 when David returned to London. In 1844 John married Mary Ann Atkins (whose father, William Cooper Atkins, is commemorated here, and also Henry Girling Atkins, her brother); the couple had eleven children of whom seven survived beyond infancy.
John was a parishioner of the old All Saints Church (opposite St John’s College), and when that was demolished in 1865 he was much involved in establishing the new All Saints Church on Jesus Lane with its G F Bodley design and its decorative work by Burne-Jones and William Morris, carried out by local firm Leach & Son. A window in the church is dedicated to John and Mary Ann. John headed the family firm for 40 years, from 1849 to 1889, establishing it as a thriving business.
John died on 1 October 1889, aged 77, and was buried three days later in the All Saints parish area of Mill Road Cemetery. His address at the time of death was given as  Park Terrace. (See his obituary and death notice.)
Mary Ann Matthew (née Atkins) (c.1821‒94)
Mary Ann died on 20 June 1894, aged 78, and was buried three days later in the All Saints parish area of Mill Road Cemetery. Her address at the time of death was given as 7 Park Terrace.
Frances Matthew (c.1847‒1930)
Frances died on 16 September 1930, aged 83, and was buried on the 19th in the All Saints parish area of Mill Road Cemetery. At the time of her death she was still living in the family home at 7 Park Terrace.
Katherine Matthew (c.1860‒1932)
Katherine was baptised at All Saints Church, Cambridge on 29 May 1859.
Katherine died on 12 February 1932 at the age of 72, and was buried three days later in the All Saints parish area of Mill Road Cemetery. Her address at the time of death was given as the Grove Nursing Home [74 Chesterton Road].
All Saints Church, Cambridge baptismal and burial registers
Judy Wilson, Cambridge Grocer: The Story of Matthew’s of Trinity Street 1832-1962 (Cambridge: R. A. Wilson, 2010)
personal communications from Michael Matthew and Judy Wilson
By Ian Bent