CFHS code : ML67
Parish : St Mary the Less
Inscription : In Loving Memory of GEORGE MILLS d Apr 16 1878 aged 39 ELIZABETH MILLS wife of above d March 11 1897 aged 57
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202678, 0.13806003 – click here for location
This headstone, in the parish area of St Mary the Less, is located east of the centre circle, fourteen rows east and five graves north.
‘In loving memory of George Mills
who died April 16 1878 aged 39 years’
“Honour thy father and thy mother
That thy days may be long in the land
Which the Lord thy God giveth thee”
‘Also of ELizabeth Mills wife of above
who died March 11 1897 aged 57 years’
George Mills (1838 – 16 April 1878)
George was born in Ipswich. By 1851 he was living at 18 Field Lane in Bury St Edmunds with his step father John Pake and mother Harriott. John Pake was a bricklayer, and aged 13 George was working as an apprentice stonemason. He married Elizabeth and the couple had at least eight children: George (1856-), Caroline (1858-1873), Robert (1862-), Charles (1864-), Annie (1867-), Harry (1868-), Arthur (1871-) and William (1879-). The couple initially lived in Bury St Edmunds where George worked as a stonemason, but by at least 1867 they had moved to live at 48 Newnham in Cambridge. George died aged 39 years old.
Elizabeth Mills (c.1839 – 11 March 1897)
Elizabeth was born in Bury St Edmunds and is believed to have had the maiden name of Taylor. After being widowed she moved to 23 Custom Street (1881) and worked as a launderess. By 1891 she was living at Argyle Street with her children and was working as a housekeeper. She died aged 57 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please email email@example.com]