CFHS code : HT188
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Ever Loving Memory of FRANK ORRISS d 16 Nov 1942 aged 51 also JEANNETT his wife d 19 Feb 1962
Monument : Headstone (fallen)/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This headstone and kerbstones in grey polished granite have sadly broken apart and have been hidden for some time under a tree next to the south wall, in the south east corner of the parish of Holy Trinity. The inscription of metal letters is undamaged.
In Ever Loving Memory of a dear husband and father
FRANK ORRISS suddenly called to rest Nov. 16th 1942 aged 51 years
“Loves greatest gift remembrance.”
Also JEANNETT his wife died Feb. 19th 1962
Frank Orriss (10 October 1891 – 16 November 1942)
Frank was the son of William and Matilda and brother of Carrie. He grew up at 111 East Road and his father William worked as a labourer. Frank married (Hannah) Jeanett Hankin in 1916 and they had at least one son: Eric Frank (1922-1980). The family lived at 12 Petworth Street and Frank worked as a painter and decorator. Frank was secreatary of the Cambridge Labour Party and died at home in 1942.
Hannah Jeannett Orriss (née Hankin) (21 September 1885 – 19 February 1962)
Jeanett was born in Girton and was the daughter of John and Mary Ann. Her father was an agricultural labourer and in 1901 the family were living at More Barn Cottages on the Madingley Road. Aged 25 she was working as a housemaid for the Nicholson family at 12 Harvey Road in Cambridge before marrying Frank Orriss in 1919. She continued to live at 12 Petworth Street until at least 1960 and died aged 76 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]