CFHS code : PL288a
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : MARY ANN RALPH d 1st Feb 1933 aged 79 also of LUCY RALPH d 11 Feb 1934 aged 96 EDWARD RALPH d 2nd April 1923 aged 79
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Relationship: Husband, wife and sister
Mary Ann Ralph (née Seymour)(c.1853 – 1 February 1933)
Mary Ann was born in Witchford and was the daughter of Matthew and Rebecca. She grew up on the Main Street in Witchford and her father worked as an agricultural labourer. In 1881 Mary was working as a ladiesmaid in Hampstead, and married Edward Ralph on 29 December 1886 at Christ Church, Camberwell. William was a wine and spirit merchant and they lived at 849 Kent Road, Camberwell (1891) and 160 Jamaica Road, Bermondsey (1901). In 1911 the couple were living in Bedford with William’s sisters Lucy and Elizabeth. They had moved to live at 5 Prospect Row by at least 1923, and Mary died at home aged 79 years old.
Lucy Ralph (1837 – 11 February 1934)
Lucy was the daughter of William and Lucy Ralph. She was born in Manchester and baptised there on 13 November 1837. William (1798-1883) was a hotel keeper who was running a hotel at Great Charlotte Street Liverpool in 1841 and by 1851 the family had moved to Clarence Place, Leamington Prior, Warwickshire. After her mother’s death in 1859, Lucy lived with her father and sister Elizabeth at Birch Villa, 12 Avenue Road in Leamington Prior (1861/1871/1881). Lucy and Elizabeth continued to live together at Birch Villa until at least 1901 and the sisters then moved to Beford where Lucy ran a Lodging House at 31 Grafton Road (1911). Elizabeth Ralph died in Bedford in September 1915 aged 75 years old and was buried in Bedford. Lucy lived at 5 Prospect Row with her sister in law Mary Ann from at least 1929 to 1931, and died at 32 St. John’s Road, Ely aged 96 years old.
Edward Ralph (1844 – 2 April 1923)
Edward was Lucy’s brother and was born in Liverpool. He was baptised on 24 July 1844 and grew up in Leamington Prior (1851). Aged 17 he was living in Holywell, Oxfordshire and working as an ironmonger’s apprentice. He later worked as a commerical traveller (1871) before living at Birch Villa, Leamington with his family (1881) where he was documented as being a wine merchant. He died at Prospect Row and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 5 April 1923.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]