CFHS code : PL25
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : THOMAS RUTTER d Jan 27 1874 aged 71
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
To the south of the south path. 6 rows west from the central path
THOMAS RUTTER d Jan 27 1874 aged 71
Thomas Rutter (2 July 1802 – 27 January 1874)
Thomas was born in Cowlinge, a village south east of Newmarket and married Rachael Goldsmith (1800-1894) there on 27 June 1831. They had at least three sons: Thomas Goldsmith (1835-1901), Ebenezer (1835-1893) and Stansfield John (1837-1917). Thomas was a farmer and although the children were all born in Cowlinge, but 1851 they were living at Hall Farm Lynford, Norfolk where he farmed 1,100 acres employing 16 labourers. He left Hall Farm in December 1855, and then farmed in Narborough, near Downham Market (1861). In September 1862 the contents and stock of the farm were sold at auction and included: 27 horses and colts, 490 ewes and lambs, 20 cows and various implements/dairy equipment.
Thomas and Rachael moved to live at 3 St. Minver Terrace, Bateman Street (1871). His youngest son Stansfield lived nearby at 5 Dorset Terrace and they ran a company called Rutter and Son, which was a seed/corn and manure merchant. Thomas and Rachael later lived at 47 Panton Street and he died at home aged 71 years old. His funeral took place on 2 February.
Thomas’ widow Rachel moved back to Wickhambrook, Suffolk where she had been born. She died in 1894 aged 93 years old.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]