CFHS code : CL66
Parish : St Clement
Inscription : JOHN CHARLES SAUNDERS priest b Dec 25 1850 d March 19 1931
Monument : Kerb stones/Stone cross (base only)
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202366, 0.13839629 – click here for location
JOHN CHARLES SAUNDERS
born Dec. 25 1850
died March 19 1931
Rev. John Charles Saunders (1850-1931)
John was born in Harrow on the Hill, and baptised at St. Mary’s Church in Harrow on 25 December 1851. He was the son of merchant Thomas and Mary Saunders, and after his father died in March 1853 the family moved to live in his mother’s home town of Lincoln. John went to Lincoln Grammar School and then to Downing College, Cambridge in October 1868. He was awarded a B.A. (1st Class) in the Natural Science Tripos in 1872, an M.A. in 1875 and was made a Fellow of Downing College in 1877. He was ordained in 1877 and served as a tutor/chaplain at Downing from 1877 to 1902. John lectured in Botany at Charing Cross Hospital from 1876-1879 and was Junior Proctor at Cambridge (1883-1884).
He served as curate of St. Botolph’s (1880-1882), curate of St. Barabas (1882-1885), vicar of St. Andrew the Great (1885-1890), curate of Great and Little Paxton (1901-1902), rector of Folksworth (1902-1906) and rector of Hatley St. George (a village between Sandy and Cambridge) (1906-1912). John married Margaret Beales on 19 July 1886 at St. James’ Church, Westminster and they did not have any children. In 1911 they were living at the Rectory in Hatley St. George with Margaret’s sister Mary, a cook and a housemaid. They retired to live at 11 Park Terrace (1916) and then 65 Barton Road where John died aged 80 years old.
From the parish burial records it is known that Margaret Saunders was also buried in the St. Clements’ area of the Cemetery, and it is assumed that she was buried in the same grave as her husband.
Margaret Saunders (née Beales) (1848 – 2 May 1932)
Margaret was the daughter of Patrick and Katherine Beales and grew up at 3 Newnham. Her father was a corn merchant/maltster and local politician who served as Mayor of Cambridge in 1856/57. She died at 65 Barton Road and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 4 May 1932.
Cambridge Alumni database
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]