CFHS code : HT514
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory JOHN EDWARD SCOTT d Sep 8 1933 aged 74 SARAH LOUISA SCOTT d Feb 25th 1888
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
John Edward Scott (1859 – 8 September 1933)
John was the youngst son of John Edward and Mary Ann (née Masters), brother of Charles and grew up at 37 Burleigh Street. His father was a cabinet maker, his mother a tailoress. In 1881 John was living with his widowed mother and two sisters at 30 Earl Street and was working as a compositor/printer.He married Sarah Louisa Sergeant in London in 1881 and they had two daughters: Sarah Louisa (1882-1946) and Beatrice Irene Ralph (1883-1950). The family lived at The Nag’s Head, Hobson Street where John was a printer/compositor and publican. He was widowed in 1888 and then lived with his sister Caroline and sister in law Jessie, who helped him run the business and care for the children (1891). He later moved to run the Fitzroy Arms, 7 Fitzroy Street (1901) before moving to live at 62 Hertford Street with daughter Beatrice and her husband Joseph Robinson. In 1911 John was noted as being a printer/compositor for a printing and stationery company.
He married for a second time in 1912 to Mary Elverson Gerard (1859 – 1955) and they lived at 9 Milton Road (at least 1918 -1931) and then at 4 Royal Albert Homes, Hills Road (1932 onwards). John died at home aged 74 years and his funeral took place on 12 September 1933.
Sarah Louisa Scott (née Sergeant) (24 April 1862 – 25 February 1888)
Sarah was born in Liverpool and baptised at St. Peter’s Church on 29 June 1862. She was the eldest daughter of Frederick and Susanna (née Ralph) Sergeant, and her father worked for H.M. Customs. He retired to live in Cambridge and ran the Nag’s Head, Hobsons Street (1881) and aged 18 Sarah was working in the pub as a barmaid. She died at the Nag’s Head aged 25 years old.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]