CFHS code : HT106
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : ARTHUR SKINNER d January 15th 1928 aged 78 EMILY SKINNER d March 29th 1940 aged 72
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Arthur Skinner (1850 – 15 January 1928)
Arthur was born in Comberton and baptised there on 7 June 1850. He was the son of thatcher John Skinner and Mary Ann (née Field) and aged 21 was living at South Street, Comberton with his parents and working as a draper’s assistant. He went to work in London (1881) before moving to Cambridge where he ran a draper’s shop at 21 Burleigh Street (1896). He married Emily Gates in 1899 when he was nearly 50 years old. In 1904 Arthur was running a Lodging House from 10 Jesus Lane and was documented as being a Lodging House keeper in 1911. He and Emily later lived at 22 King Street (at least 1920 onwards) where he died aged 78 years old.
Emily Hawkins Skinner (née Gates) (16 October 1867 – 29 March 1940)
Emily was the daughter of George Gates (1836-1883) and Harriet (née Hawkins) (1833-1899). Her father was a railway engine driver, her mother a college servant and she grew up at Gwydir Street. In 1891 she was living with her widowed mother at 15 Sidney Place, off King Street and was working as a dressmaker. After she was widowed she went to live in Bedford with Alexander and Winifred Lacey and in 1939 was documented as being an invalid. She died in Bedford aged 72 years old.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]