CFHS code : MC52

Parish : St Michael

Inscription : In Loving Memory of EMILY the wife of GEORGE JOHN SMITH d April 19 1886 aged 54 also of GEORGE JOHN SMITH d May 26 1913 aged 82

Monument : Stone cross

Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.202664, 0.13781059 – click here for location

Smith grave
Smith monument

Monument

Inscription

Emily Smith (née Challice) (c.1831 – 19 April 1886)

Emily was the daughter of Prior and Eliza Challice and sister of William.  She grew up at 24 Jesus Lane where her father ran a Lodging house and was baptised at All Saint’s Church on 8 February 1835. Emily married George Smith on 7 January 1864 at St. Michael’s Church and the couple are not believed to have had any children of their own.  George worked as a surveyor and they lived at 7 Green Street.  In 1881 they were living at Green Street with domestic servant Emma Wilderspin, niece Mary Elizabeth Smith and two Trinity College undergraduates who were lodging with them. Emily died at Green Street aged 54 years old.

George John Smith (c.1831 – 26 May 1913)

George was the son of George and Mary and was baptised on 23 March 1831 at St. Benedict’s Church.  His father was porter at King’s College and he grew up at the King’s College Porter’s Lodge.  By the age of 27 (1861) he was working as a land surveyor.  After he was widowed he stayed living at Green Street and died there in 1913 aged 82 years old.

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Emily Smith; George John Smith