CFHS code : HT273
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : side 1 HAROLD ARCHIBALD b Nov 23 1882 d Jan 25 1884 an infant son of FREDERICK & SUSAN ELIZABETH SWANN born and died June 11th 1881 ISMO FREDERICK SWANN d November 7th 1900 aged 51 also of his beloved wife SUSAN ELIZABETH d 11th October 1930 in her 80th year after 30 years side 2 also of FREDERICK JOHN SWANN their eldest son d 14 July 1938 aged 62 side 3 also of JOHN GEORGE LANGHORN SWANN their third son Vicar of Waterbeach 1938-1957 d 2nd August 1963 aged 85 side 4 also of ALBERT FRANCIS SWANN their second son d 5 July 1946 aged 69 and his wife EDITH ANNIE SWANN d 7 July 1960 aged 81
Monument : Blocks of stone surmounted by cross/Kerb stones/Flowerholder
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This unusual monument is located close to the south wall in the west of the parish of Holy Trinity. The inscription is on four shield shaped plaques.
HAROLD ARCHIBALD b Nov 23 1882 d Jan 25 1884 an infant son of FREDERICK & SUSAN ELIZABETH SWANN born and died June 11th 1881
ISMO FREDERICK SWANN d November 7th 1900 aged 51
Also of his beloved wife SUSAN ELIZABETH d 11th October 1930 in her 80th year after 30 years
Also of FREDERICK JOHN SWANN their eldest son d 14 July 1938 aged 62
side 3 west face
also of JOHN GEORGE LANGHORN SWANN their third son Vicar of Waterbeach 1938-1957 d 2nd August 1963 aged 85
also of ALBERT FRANCIS SWANN their second son d 5 July 1946 aged 69
And his wife EDITH ANNIE SWANN d 7 July 1960 aged 81
Harold Archibald Swann (23 November 1882 – 25 January 1884)
Harold was the son of Frederick and Susan Swann. He died aged 14 months old.
Frederick Swann (1849 – 7 November 1900)
Frederick was the son of John and Cecilia Swann. He grew up on Sun Street where his father John was worked as a lime burner, brick maker and publican. John Swann died in August 1866, and the business was initially taken over by his widow Cecilia, who in 1871 was employing ten men and three boys. Frederick was living at home in 1871 and working as a printer/compositor. After his mother died in 1878 he joined his brothers Henry and Alfred in running the business. It worked as a partnership until 1890 when the business was split, and the dissolution of the partnership was announced in newspapers of the time. Henry and Alfred took on the lime burning, brickmaking, grave and sand part of the business. Frederick took over the Rodney brewery at East Road.
He married Susan Tann in 1874 and they had seven sons: Frederick John, Albert Francis, John George Langhorn, Ernest Edward [1879-1963], Clement Herbert [1880-1931], unnamed infant [1881-1881] and Harold Archibald. They lived at the brewery at 95 East Road. He died at his home in November 1900.
The Cambridge Independent Press reported his death saying that ‘he had been suffering from ill-health for some years past, and a trap accident two years ago appeared to have a serious effect on him. In August last he had a seizure, which has prevented him from taking his part in the business of the Town Council, of which he was a member, but latterly especially since a recent visit to Hunstanton he greatly improved’. The Cambridge Daily News was more graphic in its description saying he ‘had been in failing health for the past two years and his condition at times had been to his family and relatives a source of great anxiety. In August last he was stricken down with paralysis and lost his speech and use of one of his arms’. The trip to Hunstanton had helped but ‘his recovery was naturally slow’ and ‘a fortnight ago he had a further paralytic seizure…on Tuesday last at midnight however the symptoms returned in an intenser form and Mr Swann gradually sank, death ensuing’.
He was said to be Conservative in his politics, and of an ‘unobtrusive temperament’. He was also a churchman ‘of broad views’ and when his health permitted he had attended Abbey Church. He had served as a councillor for Abbey Ward since 1895 and served on several committees including the Paving, Drainage and Lighting and Sanitory. The Rodney Brewery Plant was sold after his death at auction on 24th July 1901.
Susan Elizabeth Swann [nee Tann] (1851 – 11 October 1930)
Susan was the daughter of Thomas and Rebecca Tann. She grew up at 31 Willow Place and her father worked as a stone and wood carver. She married Frederick in 1874 when she was 23 years old.
After being widowed she took over the running of the brewery business and was running it with the help of sons Frederick and Albert in 1901. By 1911 she was living with her son John and daughter in law Ethel in Bangor, where John was a chaplain and lecturer. She died in Bangor aged 79 years old.
Frederick John Swann (1876 – 1938)
Frederick was the eldest child of Frederick and Susan. He took over the Rhadegund Brewery in James Street from William H Cawthorn in 1904. That same year he married school teacher May Edith Bailey on April 5th at St Matthew’s Church. They set up home in Eden Street and had their first child Eva Mary (1904), a second child Joyce Alice, (1906), was born at 8 James Street.
He died in 1838 aged 63 years old.
John George Langhorn Swann (16 November 1877 – 2 August 1963)
John was the third son of Frederick and Susan Swann. He went to Christ’s College, Cambridge and then taught science at a Sheffield Secondary school [1904-5], attended the Yorkshire Dioceses Training College [1906-7] and then was Chaplain/lecturer at the North Wales Training College in Bangor from 1907 to c1938.<
He married Ethel May Smee [1877-1924] in 1907. They had one son: Kenneth John [1911-1993]. John’s mother Susan lived with them in Bangor. John was widowed in 1924, and married Mabel Hilda Wright [1891-1978] on the Isle of Man on 25th July 1934. In 1939 he was living at the Vicarage in Waterbeach with Mabel. As the inscription says he was Vicar of Waterbeach from 1938-1957. He died at his home at 1 Cambridge Road in Waterbeach aged 85 years old.
Albert Francis Swann (12 December 1876 – 5 July 1946)
Albert was the second son of Frederick and Susan Swann. He became a brewer like his father, and was assisting his mother with the business in 1901 and still living at home at 95 East Road. He married Edith Jolly at St Lukes Church in Cambridge on 31st July 1907. Albert and Edith had at least two children: Francis Donovan [1908-2003] and Sylvia Edith [1916-2000].
When he enlisted into the army in April 1915 he was living at the School House in Barrington, Cambridgeshire – this is where his wife Edith was the school teacher. Albert and Edith were still living at the School House in 1939, where he was noted as being incapacitated by illness. Edith was teaching with their daughter Sylvia who was also a teacher in the village school. Albert died aged 69 years old.
Edith Annie Swann [nee Jolly] (17 October 1878 – 7 July 1960)
Edith was the daughter of George and Sarah Jolly. She was born in Girton, and grew up on Histon Road  and Bentinck Terrace , as her father worked as a domestic coachman/groom. She was still living at home in 1901 and was working as an elementary school teacher. She married Albert Swann when she was 28 years old.
She died aged 81 years old at the Walnut Tree Hospital in Huntingdon. At the time of her death she was living at Daintree Farm, Ramsey St Marys.
Cambridgeshire Family History Society parish and census transcripts
Breweries of Cambridge R J Flood – copies of which can be found at the Cambridgeshire Collection
Edited by Mary Naylor and Claire Martinsen