CFHS code : MG33
Parish : St Mary the Great
Inscription : side 1 In Memory of THOMAS WATTS b January 17 18 d July 26 1885 through pain to [peace] side 2 also of HARRIET LOUISA WATTS b January 27 1866 d October 6 1939 side 3 also [of] EMMA JANE —- THOMAS WATTS [b —– ] [d —– ] THOMAS WATTS ——– side 4 ——- THOMAS WATTS [b ——— ] [d ——— ]
Monument : Stone cross (broken)/Kerb stones
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202249, 0.13741015 – click here for location
Thomas Watts (27 July 1828 – 2 April 1913)
Thomas was born in Cambridge and was the son of Thomas and Elizabeth. Age 13 he was living with his mother and siblings at Globe Passage. In 1851 he was living in Sidney Street and working as an assistant to grocer Thomas Rowe. He married Emma Jane Case (1830-1890) in 1855, and later became chief clerk at Trinity College. The couple lived at 14 Rose Crescent (1861-at least 1881) and raised five children: Emma Jane (1860-), Thomas (1862-1885), Elizabeth Anne (1863-1957), Harriet Louisa (1866-1939) and William John (1868-). After he was widowed he went to live at 74 Burleigh Street (1891 )with daughters Emma and Harriet. The three of them then moved to live at 7 Bateman Street (1901/1911) and Thomas died at home in 1913. He was buried on 5 April at Mill Road Cemetery.
His obituary in the Cambridge Independent Press said he was a church warden of St. Mary the Great Church 1878-1882, and also sat on the Cambridge Board of Guardians. It also said he was a prominent Freemason and ‘was appointed Grand Persuivant of the Province in 1882, and elected Provincial Grand Treasurer in 1896 and 1897. He also rose to be the First Principal of the Fidelity Chapter of R.A. Masons and attained to the Provincial rank’.
Thomas Watts (17 July 1862 – 26 July 1885)
Thomas was the eldest son of Thomas and Emma (née Case) and was baptised on 16 February 1862. In 1881 he was working as a private secretary and living at Rose Crescent, and died there aged 23 years old. He was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 29 July and the funeral was reported in the Cambridge Independent Press under the headline ‘Semi-Military Funeral’. The coffin was accompanied to the cemetery by the ‘Cambridge detachment of the Suffolk Yeomanry, commanded by Sergt. Palfrey [it] was draped with the Union Jack, bore the deceased’s shako and sabre and was followed by the horse he used to ride, across whose back were slung his boots and spurs reversed. A large number of the deceased’s personal friends also followed’.
Emma Jane Watts (née Case) (1830 – c.1890)
Emma was the daughter of William and Ann Case and was baptised at St Michael’s Church on 12 September 1830. She grew up on Trinity Street, and married Thomas Watts when she was c.25 years old. It is believed she died in 1890 aged 60 years old.
Harriet Louisa Watts (27 January 1866 – 6 October 1939)
Harriet was the youngest daughter of Thomas and Emma and lived with her father and sister Emma at 7 Bateman Street (1901/1911). By September 1939 she was living at 123 Hills Road and was described on the records as a ‘retired governess’. She died at Addenbrookes Hospital a few weeks later aged 73 years old.
Emma Jane Watts (1860 – 15 December 1943)
Emma was the second daughter of Thomas and Emma Watts. On the 1911 census she was described as a housekeeper. She died in Barnsley aged 83 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]