CFHS code : HT207
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of MARY WRIGHT d 3 Jan 1920 aged 48 also GEORGE WRIGHT d 8 Oct 1946 aged 83
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Mary Wright (née Rooks) (1 March 1872 – 3 January 1920)
Mary was the second daughter of Alfred and Ann (née Johnstone) and was born in Dublin. It is thought her father was in the miltary and Mary grew up in Gosport (c.1876), and Bury St. Edmunds (c.1878 onwards). Alfred Rooks worked as a groom after leaving the military, and then worked as a fishmonger at 199-200 Newmarket Road, Cambridge. Mary married George Wright in 1888 and they had five children: Liliy (1888-1971), Charles Alfred (1890-), Arthur William (1896-1977) and a further two children who died as infants.
George Wright worked as a labourer and the family lived at 14 Malta Road (1891), 9 Coldham Lane (1901), 5 Argyle Street (1911). Mary died at 10 Sedgwick Street aged 48 years old and her funeral took place at St. Philip’s Church on 7 January 1920.
George Wright (10 May 1863 – 8 October 1946)
George was born in Cambridge and after he was widowed lived with his daughter Lily and son in law Basil Newling at Red House, Melbourne Place. In 1939 he was documented as being a retired road scavenger. He died at Red House and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 12 October 1946.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]