CFHS code : AG269
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : WILLIAM ERNEST YOUNGMAN (Priest) youngest son of MARY ANN YOUNGMAN d April 23 1898 aged 48 widow of JOHN STACY YOUNGMAN of Waterbeach
Monument : Stone cross (base only)
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
WILLIAM ERNEST YOUNGMAN (Priest)
youngest son of MARY ANN YOUNGMAN
died April 23 1898 aged 48
widow of JOHN STACY YOUNGMAN of Waterbeach
“The Lord thy God will hold thy right hand
Saying fear not I will help thee.”
Relationship: Mother and sons
(although the inscription is incomplete, parish burial records have been used)
Mary Ann Youngman (née Harradine) (30 January 1819 – 15 May 1892)
Mary Ann was born in Woodhurst, Huntingdonshire. She was the daughter of John and Susannah Harradine. She was baptised at the Baptist Chapel in Bluntisham on 13 December 1822. John and Susannah had four of their children baptised at the same time. Mary Ann married farmer and miller John Stacey Youngman (1818 – 1869) at Holywell cum Needingworth on 15 April 1840. They had at least four children: Sarah (1841-c.1859), Mary Ann (1843-1926), John Stacey and William Ernest. John (Senior) ran Waterbeach Mills at 4 Cambridge Road, Waterbeach.
Mary Ann was widowed in October 1869. She was still living in Waterbeach in 1871 with her children, and eldest son John had taken over the running of the mill. In 1881 Mary was living at 4 Warkworth Street, Cambridge at the home of her daughter Mary Robinson (née Youngman). Her sons William and John were also living at Warkworth Street. She later went to live at 14 Willis Road with her son John Stacey (1891) and died there in May 1892 aged 73 years old.
William Ernest Youngman (c.1850 – 23 April 1898)
William was born in Waterbeach, and was the youngest son of John and Mary Ann Youngman. Aged eleven, he was a boarder at Rev. John Ward’s school in Colne, near Huntingdon. John Ward was the curate of Colne as well as a schoolmaster. William went to Corpus Christi College, Cambridge in July 1867 aged 17 years old.
He was ordained as a Catholic deacon in 1877, and as a priest in 1884. He was curate of Shipton-under-Wychwood in Oxford (1883-1884), Curate of Pewsey in Wiltshire (1884-1887), Curate of All Saint’s Church, Ryde, Isle of Wight (1887-1892), Curate of St Sepulchre, Snow Hill Gloucester (1895-1897) and finally Curate of St Andrew’s, Peckham, London (1897-1898).
He married widow Ann Granger (née Peachey) (1841-1912) in Pewsey on 22 April 1885. Ann was born in Mildenhall, but had lived in Cambridge with her first husband Henry Granger (1849-c.1879). In 1891 Rev. William Ernest was living with Ann, and his step-son Henry Granger at 14 West Street in Ryde on the Isle of Wight. They appear to have lived a comfortable life as the family were living at the property with a parlourmaid, ladies maid and a cook.
William died at his home at 32 Eardley Crescent, Earls Court in London on 23 April 1898 aged 48 years old. His step son Henry Ernest Waddelow Peachey Granger (1871-1898) died a few weeks later on 25 June 1898 at the North Western Fever Hospital. Henry was buried at the Brompton Cemetery in London. When Ann Youngman died in 1912 she was buried with her son.
John Stacey Youngman ( 1847 – 15 February 1902)
John was the eldest son of John and Mary Ann Youngman. He was born in Waterbeach and aged 13 was also a boarder at John Ward’s school in Colne with his brother William. He took over the running of Waterbeach Mills after his father died (1871). Whilst in Waterbeach he seems to have been a keen horticulturalist and won prizes at the Waterbeach District Horticultural Society show in August 1876. He was awarded prizes in three classes: One double geranium (first place), one plant in bloom (second place) and six roses (second place).
By 1881 was living in Warkworth Street, Cambridge with his mother and siblings. In 1881 he was working as a commercial clerk in the brewing industry. In 1891 he was living with his mother and domestic servant Nelly Parsons, and was working as an accountant/home agent at that time. He had offices at 15a Downing Street, and was the Cambridge agent for the Life Association of Scotland.
In 1891 John placed an advert in the Cambridge Chronicle and Journal inviting applications for a ‘local party of settlers’ to move to Australia. The advert promised ‘a healthy life, a cheerful home, a soil of unequaled fertility’, the move was backed by special acts of the Colonial parliament and the settlers were promised ‘special advantageous terms’. There could be some Australians today who owe their roots to John Stacey Youngman.
From newspapers of the time it is known that he took an active an part in the life of Cambridge. He was secretary of the Cambridge Victoria Friendly Societies’ Asylum (1889), collector/committee member of the Royal Albert Benevolent Society (1886), member of the Liberal Cricket Club (1895), member of the Cambridge Beaconsfield Club (1890) and sat on the jury of the Cambridge Borough Quarter sessions (1891).
He married Clara Adelaide Toller at the Baptist Chapel in Waterbeach on 9 August 1892. The wedding was reported in the Cambridge Independent Press and it was said between 300 and 400 people attended the wedding ceremony. Clara was the daughter of James Toller, of Winfield Farm in Waterbeach, so the families were known to each other. Clara wore ‘a dress of pearl grey corded silk with bonnet to match and carried a bouquet composed of Marguerites, white roses and sprays of maidenhair fern. The wedding breakfast was held at her brother’s house. The newly married couple spent their honeymoon in Cromer. The wedding gifts were carefully listed by the Cambridge Independent Press and included cheques, vases, bread fork, brass candle bracket, night-dress case, diamond brooch, fan, oil painting, handpainted silk screen and a case of serviette rings.
John and Clara were living at 17 Croxton Road in Thetford in 1901, and John was working as an engineers clerk. He died in Thetford of pneumonia in February 1902 aged 54 years old. Clara Youngman (1857-1910) died in September 1910.
Cambridge Alumni Database
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]