CFHS code : AL480
Parish : St Andrew the Less
Inscription : JOHN LOCK BAILEY surgeon b Jan 16 1818 d Nov 17 1856
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.20296506, 0.13772364 – click here for location
This headstone, in the parish of St Andrew the Less, is situated to the right of the central path as it heads north from the centre circle.
JOHN LOCK BAILEY surgeon born Jan. 16. 1818. died Nov. 17. 1856.
“In the midst of life we are in death”
John Lock Bailey (1818-1856)
John was the son of John (under porter at Corpus Christi College) and Lois Bailey. He was born in Norfolk on January 16th 1818 but baptised in Cambridge with two of his siblings on December 17th 1822, and then again on November 30th 1842 where the register states he is an undergraduate at Queen’s College.
In the 1841 census his parents were living at 18 Russell Street and John Lock was residing at Downing College where he was listed as a medical pupil. He married Susannah Wragg Pretty in Norfolk in 1844. In 1851 the family were at 18 Maids Causeway.
John died at his home in Brunswick Place (Newmarket Road) at the age of 37. Despite his young age he had led a very full life. He was the medical officer for the Newmarket Road area and was dedicated to helping the poor of Chesterton. His activities were often reported in the papers.
He was also an artist, as his obituary in the Cambridge Times explains.
[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
Cambridge Times 22 Nov 1854.
by Mary Naylor from information supplied