CFHS code : HS110
Parish : Holy Sepulchre
Inscription : In Loving Memory of CONRAD BALLASTER d Oct 8 1910 age 74 also CAROLINE wife of above d Mar 4 1920 in her 86th year
Monument : Celtic cross/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202323, 0.13827716 – click here for location
This well preserved monument is 3 rows west of the east path.
In Loving Memory of CONRAD BALLASTER who died Oct. 8. 1910. Aged 74 years.
“Christ shall give thee light.”
Also CAROLINE wife of above who died March 4. 1920. In her 86th year.
“Perfect through suffering.”
Conrad Ballaster (c.1836 – 8 October 1910)
Conrad was born in Switzerland and was the son of Johann. He married widow Caroline Scott (née Miller) on 15 December 1867 in Chesterton. Caroline had three sons by her first marriage and the couple had a further five children: Conrad Johann (1868-1956), Caroline Domenica (1869-1920), Arthur Balista (1872-1942), Adelaide Barbala (1874-1923) and Eleanor May (1879-1950). Conrad worked as a journeyman college cook and the family lived at 14 Norfolk Terrace (1871/1881) and then at Engiadina Cottage, 166 Mill Road (at least 1891 onwards).
In October 1894 Conrad fell foul of the Cambridge Building Committee. He had successfully applied to add a w.c. to the house, but had also added a coal store and pantry at the same time which he did not have permission for. The Committee ordered him to pull down the additions. By 1901 Conrad had retired and he died at home aged 74 years old.
The house name of Engiadina originated from Conrad’s birthplace. It is one of the eleven districts in the Swiss canton of Graubünden.
Caroline Ballaster (née Miller) (1834 – 4 March 1920)
Caroline was born in Ipswich and was the daughter of Henry and Caroline. She was baptised at St. Clement’s Church, Ipswich on 16 November 1834, and grew up at Lower Orwell Street, where her father worked as a coal meter (a person who was responsible for weighing cargos of coal). She married stonemason John Scott (1834-1866) in 1857 and the couple had three sons: Thomas H (1860-), John William(1862-) and Gabriel (1864-1895). John Scott died at the Fulbourn Assylum on 20 February 1866, and Caroline then married for a second time.
After she was widowed she lived at Engiadina Cottage with her daughter Caroline (known as Carrie) and died at home aged 85 years old. The house was auctioned after her death in May 1920, and sale particulars described it as ‘a substantially-erected brick built and slate freehold..containing entrance hall, 2 sitting rooms, kitchen and 3 bed rooms. Garden with workshop in rear and back entrance’.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]