CFHS code : HT160

Parish : Holy Trinity

Inscription : In Loving Memory of ANN ELIZABETH BARNES d 29 April 1929 aged 68

Monument : Cherub on plinth (broken)/Kerb stones

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

The monuments in December 2021.
Crouch left Barnes right

Monument

This monument of broken kerbstones and broken  plinth stands in the south east corner of the parish of Holy Trinity. The top of the plinth has fallen into the grave set of the monument to the left and the cherub’s head is missing. The inscription of metal letters is intact.

Inscription

In Loving Memory of ANN ELIZABETH BARNES who died  April 29th 1929 aged 68 years

” Beloved by All  ”

Ann Elizabeth Barnes (née Smith) (1861 – 29 April 1929)

Ann was born in Ely, believed to be the daughter of William and Ann Smith. William was a publican and farmer and she grew up at the Railway Hotel, Ely (1871).  Her father later farmed 140 acres, working as a farmer and cattle dealer also in Ely. Ann married Walter Barnes (1859-) in 1887 in Ely and they had four children: Pioneer Sergeant William George (1890-1917), Herbert Walter (1893-1971), Ethel Ann (1895-1982) and one further child who died as an infant. In 1891 the family were living at Grunty Fen, four miles outside Ely where Walter was the station master.

What happened to Walter is not known. In 1901/1911 Ann was running a Lodging House at 11 Devonshire Road, and although the census marks her as being married, Walter was not living with her. She later moved to live at 36 Maid’s Causeway and died at the Priory Nursing Home, Newmarket Road.

Sources:

Ancestry

Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Ann Elizabeth Barnes