CFHS code : ED155
Parish : St Edward
Inscription : Sacred to the Memory of JESSIE DEAN d 27.10.1933 aged 54 also of her husband GEORGE RICHARD DEAN d 13.1.1944 aged 75
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203235, 0.13662325 – click here for location

Monument
These polished red granite kerb stones, in the parish area of St Edward (Sexton row IV, grave 3), are located to the west of the western path north of the junction with the crosspath to the centre circle. One of the corner posts is missing but the inscription is still intact. (Jessie Dean is buried 8 feet deep, George Richard Dean 7 feet deep.)
Inscription
Sacred to the memory of
Jessie Dean died Oct. 27, 1933, aged 54 years
Also of her husband George Richard Dean
died Jan. 13, 1944, aged 75 years
Jessie Dean (née Hurst) (1879 – 27 October 1933)
Jessie was born in the village of Sketchworth, three miles south of Newmarket and twelve miles east of Cambridge. She was the daughter of Thomas and Mary Ann (née Thompson) Hurst and grew up in Sketchworth (1881) and Great Abington (1891) where her father was an agricultural labourer. In 1901 she was working as a children’s nurse for the Lush family in Bournemouth. By 1911 she had returned to Cambridgeshire and was living with her sister Lizzie in Great Abington. She married George Dean in 1920 in Cambridge – George had previously been married to her sister Agnes, who had died in 1915. The couple lived at 22 Guildhall Place, and Jessie died at Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
George Richard Dean (30 August 1868 – 13 January 1944)
George was born in Fen Ditton, the son of Thomas and Hannah. Thomas Dean was a farm labourer, and the family lived on the High Street in Fen Ditton. He married Agnes Louisa Hurst (1865-1915) in 1889. George worked for Miller’s Wine Merchant at 14 Benet Street, and in 1891 the pair were both living at Benet Street with Frederick Miller, the son of the owner. George was working as a caretaker/cellarman and Agnes was the housekeeper. The couple continued to live at Benet Street (1901/1911) and George was foreman of the business. He was widowed in 1915 and then moved to 22 Guildhall Place and worked as a bus driver (at least 1918 onwards). By 1939 he had been twice widowed and was living at Guildhall Place and working as a bus cleaner. He died at home and was buried with his second wife.
Sources:
Ancestry
Newspaper archives
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
By Mary Naylor and Ian Bent
