CFHS code : HT373a
This monument was not recorded by CHFHS but has been given this code as it reflects the numbering in this area.

Parish : Holy Trinity

Monument

The monument in October 2025.

This small headstone with kerbstones is located 6 rows west of the eastern path in the parish of Holy Trinity. It is hidden under a tree that grows just behind it but the monument is still intact and the carved inscription is still just legible.
The headstone of Curzon is in front HT458 which is usually kept clear and has this grid ref 52.201815, 0.13803325

related monument  HT461 daughters – 2 rows to the east and slightly north of this one

Inscription

In Loving Memory Of 

ELLEN MATILDA BRADBURY who passed away January 12 1917 aged 61 years

Also Of GEORGE WILLIAM BRADBURY died October 20th 1928 aged 77 years

Ellen Matilda Bradbury (née Childs) (1855 – 12 January 1917)

Ellen was born in Longstanton, a village six miles north-west  of Cambridge and was baptised there on 11 March 1855. She was the daughter of labourer John Rayment Childs (1830-) and his wife Ann (née Ophield) (1825-1894). Aged 16 she was living with her aunt and uncle at the Spread Eagle pub, Downing Terrace, and was documented as being a scholar. She married cabinet maker George Bradbury on 15 July 1875 at St. Matthew’s Church and they had ten children: Arthur Walter (1876-1941), Alfred George (1878-1929), Frederick John (1880-1959), Clara Ellen (1882-1956), Emily Florence (1889-1956), Frank Ernest (1892-1974), Hilda May (1894-1967), Charles Horace (1896-1972), Percy (1900-) and one further child who died as an infant.

The family lived at 44 Broad Street, where Ellen died and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on January 15th. Her funeral was held at the Zion Chapel on East Road.

George William Bradbury (February 1851 – 20 October 1928)

George was the second son of John Omer Bradbury (1821-1870) and Sarah (née Clark) (1816-1872). He was born in Cambridge and baptised at St. Andrew the Great Church on 6 April 1851. His father was a cabinet maker, who from c.1861 onwards also ran The Crystal Palace pub on Mill Road. He married when he was 24 years old and worked as a cabinet maker for his whole career, working for local company Messrs Ansell for over 40 years. After he was widowed he continued to live at 44 Broad Street with daughters Clara and Emily.

He died at home and his funeral was held at the Zion Chapel on 25 October. The Saffron Walden Weekly News reported that ‘a large and representative congregation took place…a favourite hymn was sung ‘When I survey the Wondrous Cross’.  Rev. McCleery ‘paid tribute to the memory of a zealous church worker. He referred to Mr. Bradbury as a man of a beautiful spirit and of sterling character – living a life that was completely dominated by the religion which he professed. For more than fifty years he had been associated with the Zion Church, and in earlier life was secretary of the Young Men’s Bible Class….no church said the speaker has ever had a more loyal and faithful member’. His coffin was lowered into the grave by the deacons of the Zion Church who also headed the cortege to the cemetery.

George and Ellen’s son Alfred George Bradbury was also buried in the Holy Trinity area of Mill Road Cemetery. It is not known where he was buried.

Alfred George Bradbury (c.July 1878- 8 April 1929)

Alfred was the second son of George and Ellen. By 1901 he had moved to London where he worked as  a draper’s assistant in Fulham. He married Pauline Jetty Vogl (1877-1925) in 1901 and they had two children: Olive (1902-1999) and Stanley (1906-). They lived in Hampton, Surrey (1911) where he was a draper, and then in Hornsey, where he was documented as being a window dresser in a drapers shop (1921). It is thought after he was widowed he returned to live at 44 Broad Street, where he died aged 50 years old. Newspapers reported ‘Mr Bradbury had been in failing health for a long time, and passed away suddenly’. His funeral was held on 11 April at the family home, before interment at Mill Road Cemetery.

George Bradbury’s brother John Joseph Bradbury is buried at Mill Road Cemetery.

George’s parents and sister Sarah were buried in the St. Paul’s area of the Cemetery, but their grave has not yet been discovered:

John Omer Bradbury (1821 – 15 January 1870)

John was born in Surrey, the son of  cabinet maker John Bradbury . Her maried Sarah Clark on 20 June 1848 in her native village of Ickleton and they had four children: John Joseph (1849-1928), George William, Sarah Ann (1853-1860) and James Andrew (1856-1928). John also trained as a cabinet maker, and by 1861 was combining this with running the Crystal Palace pub. He died at Mill Road aged 48 years old and his funeral was held on 21 January.

Sarah Bradbury (née Clark)  (c.1816 – 15 November 1872)

Sarah was born in Ickelton and was the daughter of parish clerk Joseph and his wife Mary. After she was widowed she continued to run the Crystal Place and died aged 56 years old. She was buried on 21 November and a ‘very large number of people’ attended.  The Cambridge Independent Press reported ‘she had been a sunday school teacher for 36 years and the teachers and senior scholars of Trinity Church Sunday Schoool attended to pay the last tribute of respect to one whom they had known for so long. They formed a long procession, preceding the hearse to the cemetery and whilst assembled round the grave they sang, during the intervals of the service the hymns ‘Shall we gather at the river’ and ‘Joyfully, joyfully onward we move’ which were great favourites with the deceased’.

Sarah Ann Bradbury (c.September 1853 – 6 March 1860)

Sarah was the only daughter of John and Sarah Bradbury. She was baptised at St. Andrew the Less on 25 September 1853 and died at Mill Road aged 5 years and 6 months old.

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

Parish burial records

by Mary Naylor and Claire Martinsen

[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Ellen Matilda Bradbury; George William Bradbury