CFHS code : AL8

Parish : St Andrew the Less

Inscription : Sacred to the Memory of JAMES GOODENOUGH d 22 [May] 1850 remainder indecipherable

Monument : Stone cross/Coped stone

Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.204257, 0.1377407 – click here for location

Goodenough monument January 2020

Monument 

Located eleven rows east of the Norfolk Street gate and about 6 metres from the north wall. What was once quite a handsome monument is now just a heap of broken stone. We were not able to find any inscription and have relied on the maps held at the Cambridgeshire Archives to identify the monument.

Inscription

Sacred to the Memory of JAMES GOODENOUGH d 22 May 1850
remainder indecipherable

James Goodenough (1806 – 22 May 1850)

James was born in Over, Cambridgeshire and married Sarah Parr (1809-1889) in Over in 1827.  James was a tailor and the couple moved to live at 9 Prospect Row (at least 1832 onwards). The house was rented and was described as ‘a convenient and well built brick and slate tenement…containing 4 rooms, a detached kitchen and garden back and front with a back entrance from Brandon Row held at the yearly rent of £8, 8s’ (1849).

He and Sarah had at least seven children: George (1828-), John (1832-1878), Henry (Harry) (1835-1898), Mary Ann (1838-1909), Matilda (1841-1912), Charles Jeffs (1842-1892) and Walter James (1845-1915).  James did at home aged 45 years old and was buried on May 27th.

His daughter Mary Ann  Goodneough married stain glass artist and painter Frederick Richard Leach.

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

Parish Burial records transcribed by CFHS

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

James Goodenough
Tagged on: