Not recorded by CHFHS

Parish Holy Trinity

Monument

The column in February 2024.

This stone column with directed domed top stands one row east of the central path and roughly 21 metres from the south path.in the parish of Holy Trinity.  It has been hidden under ivy for many years. The carved inscription is still legible.

Inscription

In memory of JOHN PAGE
Died February 4 1855

Aged 62 years

John Page (c1793 – 1855)

John was born in Cambridge. It is thought he was the son of William & Martha Page who ran a bookshop in Market St. He was baptised at Holy Trinity church on January 12th 1797 and appears to have been the only boy with several sisters. His father died suddenly in 1806 ‘He complained of a pain near his heart, dropped down and expired’ – Northampton Mercury – Saturday 07 June 1806 page 3. His mother continued running the bookshop. From an advert she placed in the Cambridge Chronicle on July 4th we learn that the firm offered bookbinding and stationary and lent out novels by the quarter, week or day. Martha was ill for 19 years before her death in 1836 and it seems that her daughter, also named Martha, continued running the shop until her death in 1948.  There is no evidence that John was involved in the family shop. He worked for Stevenson the bookseller at 1 Trinity St and then became a librarian at the Cambridge University Library from about 1840 until his death.

He died at Malcolm Place where he had been lodging and was buried on February 8th. His death was announced in the Cambridge Independent Press on February 10th

Researched by Mary Naylor

Sources

CHFHS transcripts of Parish records

British Newspaper Archives

[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

John Page