CFHS code : AL361

Parish : St Andrew the Less

Inscription : In Loving Memory of MARY ANN beloved wife of WILLIAM CLARK d July 29 1893 aged 47 also To the Memory of WILLIAM CLARK d April 17 1905 aged 58

Monument : Headstone

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Clark headstone May 2017

Monument
Located five rows west of the east path in the south of the parish of St Andrew the Less, this headstone is partially hidden by a small tree and brambles.

Inscription

In Loving Memory of MARY ANN beloved wife of WILLIAM CLARK
Who departed this life July 29 1893 aged 47 years

Also To the Memory of WILLIAM CLARK who died April 17 1905 aged 58 years

Mary Ann Clark (née Salmons) (1846 – 29 July 1893)

Mary was born in Milton, to the North of Cambridge and was the eldest daughter of William (1823-1889) and Mary (née Butler) (1823-1905) Salmons. She grew up at Fen End in Milton, and her father was an agricultural labourer. Aged 15, Mary was working as a servant for retired farmer  David Gunnell at St. George’s Terrace, Chesterton and she married carpenter William Clark in 1867.  Mary and William had at least twelve children: Charles William (1868-), George (1870-1938), Rose Elizabeth (1871-1947), Frederick (1873-), Arthur (1875-), Nellie (1876-1936), Harry (1880-), Alice (1882-), Private Albert (1883-1917), Private Owen (1886-1918), Walter (1887-) and Edwin Sidney (1891-1959). The family lived at Sturton Street (1871), 6 Henley Road (1881) then Beche Road (on the corner with  Godesdone Road) (1891). Mary died at home aged  47 years old and her funeral was held on 1 August 1893. Notices of her death described her as ‘the beloved wife of W. Clark, builder and eldest daughter of the late W. Salmons of Milton, Cambridgeshire’.

William Tingey Clark (1847 – 17 April 1905)

William is believed to have been the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Tingey (1826-). His mother was a shoe binder and aged 4 he was living at Falcon’s Yard, with his mother and older sister Elizabeth. Elizabeth (Snr) married carpenter William Clark and by 1861 they were living at 3 Field’s Court, St. Andrew’s Street, and Elizabeth’s two children had changed their surnames from Tingey to Clark. William married Mary Ann when he was c.20 years old and worked as a carpenter, and later as a builder. In 1901 he was living at 45 Beche Road with eight of his children and was no longer working. He committed suicide in April 1905 and an inquest was held into his death. The jury heard that he had retired seven or eight years previous and had ‘for some time past (been) suffering from a nervous complaint. His son George  said that he ‘had been medically attended for the complaint and had the constant attention of his sons and daughters owing to his helpless state’. It was said that he had been depressed due to his illness, but had not talked about suicide. The Doctor told the inquest that he had ‘been suffering from a very painful and distressing nervous complaint, a sort of paralysis’ and that it’affected him in such a manner that he could not keep still’. Newspapers reported that ‘the jury returned a verdict of ‘suicide during temporary insanity’ and expressed their sympathy with the family’. William was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 20 April 1905.

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Mary Ann Clark; William Clark