CFHS code : HT147
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : Anchor symbol In Loving Memory of GEORGE [ALGER PARRIS] several lines illegible
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
George Alger Parris (1858 – 11 April 1894)
George was the only son of George and Sarah (née Alger) Parris and was born in Shingay, five miles north of Royston. He grew up at the Manor House (also called Manor Farm) where his father farmed 260 acres and in 1861 was employing 14 men/boys on the farm.
Geroge (Snr) died at home in June 1879 and George (jnr) then lived with his mother and sister Julia at Manor Farm (1881). He died at 9 Queen’s Road, Brighton aged 36 years old and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 16 April 1894.
George’s sister Julia had married William Fairchild in c.1885 and the couple lived at 141 Gwydir Street with William’s mother Ann, and Julia’s mother Sarah (1891). Sarah Parris died at Gwydir Street on 15 February 1893 aged 79 years old and might have been buried in the same grave plot as her son – although parish burial records do not show this. When George died in Brighton the following year, it might have been decided to bury him with his mother in Cambridge.
Julia Fairchild (née Parris) stayed in Cambridge until at least 1901 but then moved to Bishop Stortford where she died in 1913.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]