CFHS code : HT230
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of WILLIAM JAMES SQUIRES d March 24th 1925 aged 74 also of ELIZA SQUIRES d May 9th 1930 aged 78
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
The kerb stones, in the parish area of Holy Trinity, appear to be intact but are hidden under vegetation close to the south wall.
In Loving Memory of WILLIAM JAMES SQUIRES who died March 24th 1925 aged 74
Also of ELIZA SQUIRES who died May 9th 1930 aged 78
William James Squires (1850 – 24 March 1925)
William was the son of James and Frances (née Woodward) and grew up at 7 St. Peter’s Court. His father was a french polisher and his mother a dressmaker. James Squires died suddenly aged 40 years old in May 1866, when he died on the street due to ‘effusion of blood on the brain’ and his death was recorded as ‘death by the visitation of God’. After his death his widow Frances Squires moved the family to 8 Cross Street and William trained as plumber, painter and glazier (1871). He married Eliza Thorn in 1876 and they had two sons: William Clifford (1878-1952 )and Montague Alfred (1881-1970).
The family lived at 42 South Street (1881), 2 & 3 Botolph Lane (1891), 2 Pembroke Street (1901/1911). William continued to work as a painter/glazier and in 1911 was working at the University Press. Eliza meanwhile was running a Lodging House from Pembroke Street in 1911. He died at 4 Hardick Street and his funeral took place on 27 March.
Eliza Squires (née Thorn) (1852 – 9 May 1930)
Eliza was born in Stretham, near Ely and was the daughter of Thomas and Rebecca. Her father was an agricultural labourer and she grew up at Plantation Farm, Littleport. She married William Squires when she was c.24 years old and died also died at 4 Hardwick Street.
Parish burial records
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]