CFHS code : AL275

Parish : St Andrew the Less

Inscription : In Memory of EDITH WATERS d January 25 1886 aged 16 months WILFRED WATERS d Nov 23 1893 aged 3 months FRANK WATERS July 4 1935 aged 80 FLORENCE WATERS d March 21 1942 aged 84

Monument : Kerb stones

Above information  amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Monument

Inscription

Edith Waters (1884 – 25 February  1886)

Edith was the daughter of Frank and Florence and died at 18 Brunswick Place aged 16 months old.

Wilfred Waters (c.August 1893 – 23 November 1893)

Wilfred died at Wellington, East Road aged 3 months old.

Frank Waters (1854 – 4 July 1935)

Frank was the son of William and Mary Ann (née Apthorpe) and  brother of William.  His father was a linen draper  and later an insurance agent. Frank  grew up on Newmarket Road (1861) and then Grafton House, 25 Maid’s Causeway (1871). Frank worked as an architect and surveyor/estate agent  and married Florence Freeman on 24 April 1879 at Christ Church.

The couple lived at 18 Brunswick Place (1881), then East Road (1891)  and had eight children: Elsie Florence (1880-1951), Horace Frank (1881-1946), Bertram (1883-), Edith, Claud Dallinger (1886-1947), Stanley (1888-1943), Wilfred and Ruby (1895-1979).

Frank ran his architect’s business from 7a Alexandra Street (1899) and then at 2 Sidney Street (1905) – the company later became known as Messrs Waters and Worrall.  He worked on  many building and engineering plans around the town including the water supply to Cottenham (1902) and as surveyor to the Cambridge ‘Peers’ Economic Building Society (1902).  Messrs Arnold and Tupling employed Frank to design them a new dairy on Tenison Road which was opened to great fanfare in January 1900.  The dairy was the first in Cambridge to use sterilisation and was said to have been ‘designed by and carried out under the personal supervision of Mr. Frank Waters…the works have been designed upon the most modern principles with a view to absolute cleanliness and good ventilation’.  The company had high hopes for the new sterilised milk and it was reported that the milk ‘will be sold at the usual price and cases containing pint or half pint bottles can be purchased. The firm hope to do business in the county as well as in the Town and University’.

He also played a prominent role in local affairs and was: vice-president of the St. Barnabas’ Football Club (1902), sat on the Cambridge Board of Guardians (1904),, secretary of the Cambridge Ratepayers’ Association (1909), Hon. secretary of the St. Barbabas Cricket Club (1901), Hon. secretary for the Institute for Romsey Town (1908).

The family later lived at 54 Mawson Road (1901) and 59 Victoria Road (1911). and Ruabon, 13 Milton Road (1913 onwards).  He died at Milton Road aged 80 years old.

Florence Waters  (née Freeman) (25 March 1857 –  1942)

Florence was the daughter of Frederick and Sarah and was born in Tottenham, London. She was baptised there on 22 April 1857 and  aged 4 was living with her family on the High Road, Tottenham, her father was working as a master brewer. By 1871 the Freeman family had moved to live at 14 Brunswick Place and Frederick managed a brewery in Cambridge.

After she was widowed Florence continued to live at 13 Milton Road with daughters Elsie and Ruby (1939) and died at home  in 1942 just before her 85th birthday.

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Edith Waters; Florence Waters; Frank Waters; Wilfred Waters
Tagged on: