CFHS code : BE108
Parish : St Bene’t
Inscription : THOMAS BRADFORD b 23 Oct 1828 d [Dec] 9 1871 also LUCY widow of THOMAS BRADFORD b March 12 1828 d [Feb 21] 1892 WILLIAM BRADFORD d Jany 17 1943
Monument : Cruciform Coped stone
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202622, 0.13616947 – click here for location
This cruciform coped stone is 2 rows west of the west path. This area is usually left to grow wild.
THOMAS BRADFORD b 23 Oct 1828 d [Dec] 9 1871
Also LUCY widow of THOMAS BRADFORD b March 12 1828 d [Feb 21] 1892
WILLIAM BRADFORD d Jany 17 1943
Thomas Bradford (1828 – 9 December 1871)
Thomas was born in Braintree, and was the son of Thomas. Aged 21 he was working as a servant to Rev. Edwin Parker in Waltham St Lawrence, Berkshire, and later became butler at Magdalene College, Cambridge. He married Lucy Gunner in 1858 and they had three children: Thomas (1859-1933), William (1861-1943) and Catherine Maria (1863-1934). They lived at 4 Magdalene Street, and Lucy also worked at Magdalene as Housekeeper. Thomas died in December 1871, and was registereed as being 41 years old on the death register, which is at odds with the date of birth on the grave monument.
Lucy Bradford (née Gunner) (12 March 1828 – 21 February 1892)
Lucy was the daughter of farmer John Gunner and his wife Elizabeth (née Hinge). She was born in Merton, Surrey and baptised there on 6 April 1828. John Gunner (1799-1837) died when Lucy was 9 years old and she grew up with her mother and siblings at Ealing (1841) and then New Brentford (1851). In 1881 she was living with her children at Magdalene Cottage within Magdalene College and continued to work as the College Housekeeper. By 1891 she had moved to live at Myrtle Cottage on the Huntingdon Road and died there in February 1892.
William Bradford (27 January 1861 – 17 January 1943)
William was the youngest son of Thomas and Lucy and worked as an apprentice ironmonger (1881) and then as an ironmonger (1891). He lived with is mother until her death in 1892.
From c.1895 William farmed at Hinge Farm, Waterbeach, which was said to consist of ‘184 acres of which nearly 60 acreas are excellent old pasture, bank and wash land and the remainder arable with convenient farm house and good and complete homestead, situate 1.5 miles from Waterbeach Station and 7.5 miles from Cambridge’. In 1939 he had retired to live at The Hall on Station Road in Waterbeach and was living there with a gardener, housekeeper and maid. He died at the Hall aged 81 years old and was buried with his parents at Mill Road Cemetery.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]