This monument was not recorded by the CFHS survey
Parish – Andrew the Less
Code AL492b

Monument
This medium sized headstone with rounded top adorned by a carved circle of flowers stands about 15 metres east of the west wall and to the west of the central path as it nears the Norfolk St gate in the far north of the Andrew the Less area of the cemetery.
Inscription
In Loving Memory of
ELIZABETH
The beloved wife of GEORGE SUMMERS
Died July 3rd 1886 in her 40th year
God bless and preserve her.
CATHERINE DAVIS Mother if the above
died April 27 1886 aged 61 years
Relationship: Mother and daughter
Elizabeth Summers (née Davis) (1846 – 3 July 1886)
Elizabeth was the only child of clock and watch maker James (1822-1895) and Catherine Davis. She was born in Staffordshire and by 1851 was living at Kirkgate, Wakefield with her parents. The family had moved to live at ‘The News vendor Shop’, 3 Fitzroy Street by 1861 where James was a newsagent and clock maker, with Elizabeth assisting him in the business. The marriage between Elizabeth’s mother and father seems to have faltered, and by 1871 he had moved to Lambeth. Elizabeth meanwhile remained at 3 Fitzroy Street with her mother and ran the newsagent/stationer’s shop with the help of Catherine. She married coach smith George Summers (1846-1892) in 1873 and they had four children: Florence Catherine Ann (1873-1964), Horace George (1876-1962), Leslie James (1878-1968) and Gilbert Josiah (1881-1921). George had inherited the family business from his father and ran it with his brother from 22 Corn Exchange Street. Elizabeth and George lived at 3 Fitzroy Street with her mother Catherine, and she continued to run a stationery business from the address. Elizabeth died at home and her funeral was held on 7 July.
George Summers married Ellen Mary Griffin (1856-) on 24 April 1890 at the Zion Chapel. They lived at 9 Auckland Road, and he died at home aged 46 years old. Burial records show he was buried in the St. Andrew the Less area of Mill Road Cemetery on 4 May 1892, but it is not known if he was buried in the same grave as his first wife.
Catherine Davis (née Pilsbury) (1825 – 27 April 1886)
Catherine was born in Stafford, the daughter of Lewis and Mary Pilsbury. She was baptised on 13 April 1886 at St. Mary’s Church, Stafford. Lewis Pilsbury was a gardener, and Catherine was raised in Stafford before marrying James Davis in 1845 in the town. She and James lived separate lives from at least 1871 onwards. Catherine died at Addenbrooke’s Hospital and was buried on 30 April.
Sources:
Ancestry
Newspaper archives
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
