This grave was not identified by the CFHS survey

Ridgeon grave
Ridgeon headstone

Monument

Headstone in the parish area of St Andrew the Less.

Inscription

Priscilla Ridgeon (née Bradley) (1847  1899)

Priscilla was born in Thurston, four miles east of Bury St. Edmunds and was the daughter of blacksmith Robert Bradley and Sophia (née Suttle). She married Charles Ridgeon in 1870 and they had at least eight children: William (1871-1943), Cyril (1873-1942), Robert (1874-1940), Ellen Harriett (1876-1921), Kate Mabel (1877-2956), Horace (1879-1966), Ernest (1884-1940) and Sidney (1889-1890).  Charles was a stonemason, and their eldest child was born in Newark on Trent, Nottinghamshire in 1871, before living in Cambridge (at least 1874-1877). In 1881 the family had returned to live in Thurston, where Charles ran the Victoria Inn. By 1891 they were once again living in Cambridge, at Vinery Road, and Charles was once more working as a stonemason. They had moved to 6 Seymour Street by the time Priscilla died in December 1899 aged 52 years old.  She was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 2 December.

Charles William Ridgeon (1843 – 27 December 1918)

Charles was also born in Thurston and was the son of William and Harriett. He grew up on Norton Road in the village, where his father was both a publican and farmer. By the age of 18, Charles was working as a stonemason. After he was widowed, he lived at Seymour Street with four of his children (1901). In 1911 he was still working, and daughter Kate, son in law Harry Harding and grandson Horace were living with him at Seymour Street. He died aged 75 years old.

Charles and Priscilla’s infant son Sidney Ridgeon died at Vinery Road on 25 February 1890 aged 2 months old. He was buried in the St. Andrew the Less area of Mill Road Cemetery on 1 March 1890, but it is not known if he was buried in the same grave as his parents.

Their sons Robert and Ernest also worked as stonemasons.  Cyril Ridgeon founded the Cambridge builders’ merchant Ridgeons from the back room of his Cambridge house in 1911.

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Charles William Ridgeon; Priscilla Ridgeon