CFHS code : PL304
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : In Loving Memory of THOMAS DIXON d Feb 11 1883 aged 91 also ANN his wife d Feb 13 1875 aged 82 also JOHN DIXON their son d April 20th 1900 aged 67 also FLORENCE MARY his daughter d April 8 1871 in her 10th year also EMMA wife of JOHN DIXON d March 19 1929 aged 91 reverse MARY JANE LINCOLN d Nov 10 1929 aged 65
Monument : Headstone/Flowerholder
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This headstone with flowerholder in the parish area of St Paul, is located to the right of the western path. Although the inscription is still clear many of the leaded letters are missing.
In Loving Memory of THOMAS DIXON died Feb – 11th 1883 aged 91
Also ANN his wife died Feb 13th 1875 aged 82
Also JOHN DIXON their son died April 20th 1900 aged 67
Also FLORENCE MARY his daughter died April 8th 1871 in her 10th year
Also EMMA wife of JOHN DIXON died March 19th 1929 aged 91
MARY JANE LINCOLN died Nov 10 1929 aged 65
Thomas Lurcock / Dixon (1791 – 11 February 1883)
Thomas born in Broomfield, near Herne Bay, Kent and was the son of John Lurcock (1747- 1813) and Elizabeth (née Dixon) (1770-1857). He married Mary Doggett (1790-1830) on 7 August 1815. The couple had two children: Susan Elizabeth Dixon (1816-1895) and Thomas (1818-1896). Both children were born in Cambridge, and Thomas was widowed in May 1830 when Mary died ‘after a very long illness, borne with exemplary patience’. He married Mary’s sister Ann Doggett on 5 July 1831 at Old Church, St. Pancras.
At some point Thomas changed his surname from Lurcock to Dixon. When Mary died in 1830 she was described as the wife of Thomas Dixon, but when he married Ann he used the surname Lurcock. He was a florist/gardener and lived at Hills Road. Thomas died aged 91 years old, but the Parish burial records did not record his burial.
Ann Dixon (née Doggett) (1794 – 13 February 1875)
Ann was the daughter of Benjamin and Rose and was baptised in Cambridge on 6 December 1795. Ann died at Hills Road – the burial record and notices in local newspapers gave her aged as 81 years, the grave monument records 82 years. Her funeral took place on 17 February.
John Doggett Dixon (1833 – 20 April 1900)
John was baptised at St. Andrew the Great Church on 29 December 1833. He grew up at 35 Hills Road and also worked as a florist/gardener (an early form of landscape gardener). John married Emma Bates on 1 June 1858 at Christ Church, Cambridge and they had one daughter Florence, who died aged 9 years old. The couple lived with his parents at Hills Road, and John ran ‘Hills Road Nursery’. A newspaper advert from November 1866 offered ‘an extensive stock of fruit and forest trees, shrubs, conifers, roses. Priced cataloges can be had on application. Carting done by the day or load’.
He played a key part in the opening of the St. Matthew’s Sunday School in Norfolk Street in December 1871. The Cambridge Independent Press reported that he had ‘always tken considerable interest in St. Matthew’s church and Sunday School, undertook the great responsibility of building the school, and having proposed a plan, which was approved of, commenced the work in July last. The whole of the building (the laying of the bricks excepted) has been done by Mr. Dixon and a gardener in his employ. The structure is substantial and admirably suited to the purpose for what it is to be used. The entire cost is about £550, and of this sum only £160 remains to be raised. Those who have seen the room have expressed their approbation of the design, and to Mr. Dixon, much credit is due. Not only did Mr. Dixon build the school, but he offered to do so upon ground his property (sic)’.
John died at 43 Hills Road and his funeral took place on 23 April 1900.
Florence Mary Dixon (1861 – 8 April 1871)
Florence was the only daughter of John and Emma Dixon. She was baptised on 27 October 1861 at St. Paul’s Church and died at Hills Road aged 9 years old.
Emma Dixon (née Bates) (18 April 1837 – 19 March 1929)
Emma was the daughter of Nathaniel and Mary (née Hutt) Bates and sister of Charles. She was baptised at St. Andrew the Great Church on 19 October 1837 and grew up on Trumpington Street where her father ran a pub (1841). Nathaniel later worked as a carpenter and the family lived at City Road (1851). After she was widowed she lived at 43 Hills Road (1901) and Panton Street (1911) with her niece Mary Lincoln. Emma died at 59 Panton Street aged 91 years old and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 21 March.
Mary Jane Lincoln (1864 – 9 November 1929)
Mary was born in Islington, the daughter of Ezekiel (1819-1893) and Jane (née Gray) (1825-1882) and was a niece of Emma Dixon. Her father was a gardener when she was a child and she grew up at Halton Road, Islington (1871). He later ran a grocer/draper’s shop in Debden (1881/1891) and Mary assisted in the buisness. After her father’s death she lived with Emma Dixon at 43 Hills Road and Panton Street. In 1911 she was documented as being Emma’s companion. Mary died at Mill Road Infirmary aged 65 years old and was buried on 13 November 1929.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]