CFHS code : BE14a
Parish : St Bene’t
Inscription : Sacred to the Memory of MARY ANN the beloved wife of JOHN JONES d Oct 19 1854 aged 54 also MARY ANN GRANGER third daughter of JOHN & MARY JONES b Aug 31 1825 d Aug 1 1884
Monument : Chest tomb with panelled sides
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202432, 0.13722869 – click here for location

Monument
This large chest tomb is 1 row to the west of the central path but hidden by a large yew tree and ivy. Only the south face is visible.
Inscription
south face
Sacred to the Memory of MARY ANN the beloved wife of JOHN JONES
Who departed this life Oct 19 1854 aged 54
Also MARY ANN GRANGER
third daughter of JOHN & MARY JONES
born Aug 31 1825 died Aug 1 1884
As the burial register shows that John Jones was buried in this parish it is reasonable to suppose that he is also buried here and his inscription likely to be on the north side of the monument..
The monument to his children is located behind this tomb.
Mary Ann Jones (née Wilson) (16 December 1799 – 19 October 1854)
Mary Ann was the daughter of George and Elizabeth Watson. She was born in Bury St Edmunds and was baptised at St Jame’s Church, Bury St Edmunds on 25th February 1800. She married John Jones at the same church on 19th May 1818. John was a dental surgeon in Bury St Edmunds but eventually settled at 4 Jesus Lane, Cambridge. John was Jewish, but chose to keep his religion private, as there were very few Jews in Cambridge at the time, and the university did not admit Jews to study until 1854.
They had at least nine children together – the sons all became dentists like their father. John [1818-1900], Elizabeth [1820-1904], Amelia [1823-1893], Mary Ann Granger [1825-1884], Sarah Elizabeth Maria [1827-1916], Frederick Hart [1829-1906], Adelaide Felloes [1830-1859], Alfred [1832-1905] and Augustus [1834-1910].
By 1838 John Jones had moved his practice to 63 Trumpington Road – a very fashionable address between Kings College and the Bull Hotel. This could have been a good ploy at attract the wealthy clients of the Bull Hotel. John and Mary were recorded as living in Ely Villa, Milton Road in 1851 which was the house that John Jones had fashioned for himself . Mary Ann died in 1854 at Trumpington Street after what newspapers called ‘a protracted affliction endured with much fortitude and resignation, deeply regretted by her devoted husband and family, also a large circle of sorrowing friends’.
Mary Ann Granger Jones (31 August 1825 – 1 August 1884)
Very little is known of Mary Ann. She was baptised on 26th December 1827 at St Sepulchre in Cambridge – the same day as her sister Sarah Elizabeth Maria. She married Alfred Slade Granger (c.1831-1864) on 5 January 1859 at St. Benedict’s Church, Cambridge. He was a farmer from Needingworth, and in 1861 the couple were living on the High Street, Holywell cum Needingworth with two servants. Alfred (or Fred as he was called) was documented as farming 175 acres and employing 4 men and 3 boys.
Fred then became a volunteer on the Union side in the American Civil War, as a private in teh 2nd Connecticut Volunteer Heavy Artillery. He died at Frederick City, Maryland of ‘disease and marching’. Why a farmer from Huntingdonshire should volunteer in the Amercian army is a mystery. He left effects worth under £100 in his Will, which was proved at the Principal Registry in June 1865. However, he may have bequeathed some land to Mary Ann, as she was recorded as owning 56 acres in an 1873 Return Of Owners Of Land for Cambridgeshire.
Mary Ann seems to have received a US government war widow’s pension from at least 1869 onwards. In 1871, she was living at 8 Cambrian Villas, Chesterton, on ‘income derived from land’, together with one servant. In 1881, she lived at Grantchester Terrace, Grantchester, as an annuitant, with one servant.
After Mary Ann died on 1 August 1884 (of carcinoma, hepatitis and exhaustion). She left personal estate worth £2,128 11s, 5d.
John Jones (1799- 20 January 1878)
John was born in King’s Lynn and was widowed in 1854. He married Sarah Aveling ( 1811-1886) on 27 October 1857 in the parish of Chepping Wycombe, Buckinghamshire and the couple lived at Ely Villa on Milton Road (1861/1871). He died in 1878 and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 26 January.
Sarah Jones moved to live at 9 Panton Street (1881) and then 5 Dorset Terrace, Hills Road. She died on 12 Jul 1886 aged 74 years old.
Sources:
Ancestry
Newspaper archives
CFHS transcription of parish records
The story of Ely Villa can be found here
by Claire Martinsen with additional help from Mary Naylor
With many thanks to Patrick H-S for informing us about the life of Mary Ann Granger
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
