CFHS code : BE6
Parish : St Bene’t
Inscription : In Memory of a most blessed sister ANNA ADAIR HAWTHORN 2nd daughter of the Rev ROBERT HAWTHORN Vicar of Stapleford Cambs d 11 January 1889
Monument : Stone cross/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This cross is located 3 rows west of the central path. The inscription of metal letters is in very good order.
In Memory of a most blessed sister ANNA ADAIR HAWTHORN
2nd daughter of the Rev ROBERT HAWTHORN
Vicar of Stapleford Cambs died 11 January 1889
Anna Adair Hawthorn (11 April 1821 – 11 January 1889)
Anna was born in Whittinghame, East Lothian, the daughter of Rev Robert and Anne Hawthorn.
Reverend Robert Hawthorn (1792 – 1872) was born in Jamaica. He married Anne Lawrie in 1818 in Loudoun, Ayr. They had four children including Anna, who were all born in East Lothian. Robert Hawthorn then was admitted to Peterhouse College in 1825. He was the Curate of Swaffham Prior 1841-1855 and Vicar of Stapleford 1845-1872.
The majority of Anna’s life was spent with her father living at Stapleford Lodge, where he was the vicar. He died on 14th March 1872, aged 80 years. On 26th April 1872 there was an auction of his furniture and effects, which was said to be by order of the Trustees under the will. Items included: furniture, a few lots of glass, a cottage pianoforte, guitar, day and night telescope, lawn mower, tools, firewood, poultry and about 1,200 bedding out and other plants. Newspaper articles of the time show the position of vicar being advertised after his death, with a value of £200 a year paid by the Dean and Chapter of Ely.
After her father’s death Anna moved to Bateman Street. In 1881 she is recorded living at 15 Bateman Street, with a female boarder and two servants and her occupation is listed as interest of money from settlements. She died aged 67 years old at 3 Addenbrookes Place in 1889, leaving effects valued at £4,765.
Her siblings Sarah Blomefield (1819-1908), Grace Agnew Boycott (1822-1918) and Robert Hawthorn (b 1824) presumably erected the headstone in remembrance of their sister.
British Newspaper Archives.
by Claire Martinsen