CFHS code : ED40
Parish : St Edward
Inscription : In Loving Memory of MARY ANN MOUNTAIN d 24.3.1959 aged 60 also ELIZABETH her sister d 25.10.1935 aged 84
Monument : Stone cross/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203131, 0.1373793 – click here for location
This stone cross (broken and fallen) on a double plinth (partly sunk), in the parish area of St Edward, is located seven rows west of the central path 20 yards north of the centre circle. It is the first of four Mountain monuments adjacent to one another.
In loving memory of
Mary Ann Mountain
who fell asleep March 24 1909 aged 68 years
Also of Elizabeth her sister
who fell asleep Oct 25 1935 aged 84 years
Relationship: Mary Ann and Elizabeth were sisters: daughters of George and Letitia Mountain.
Mary Ann Mountain (1840‒1909)
Mary Ann was born on 23 August 1840, and baptised at St Edward’s Church on 13 September of that year, the daughter of George Mountain, coachman to the Provost of King’s College, and his wife Letitia. She lived with the family at 8 Queens’ Lane in central Cambridge until the 1850s.
By 1861 Mary Ann was working as a servant in the household of Frederick Randall, solicitor, on Trumpington Street (next to old Addenbrooke’s Hospital). By 1871 she had moved to Salisbury, Wiltshire, where she worked as a lady’s maid to Eleanor, wife of Henry P Hamilton, Dean of Salisbury, in The Deanery, Cathedral Close. In 1881 she was a night nurse at St George’s Hospital, Hanover Square, in Belgravia, London. Mary Ann returned to Cambridge sometime in the 1880s, and by 1891 (possibly as early as 1884) was living at the milliner’s and draper’s shop of her younger sister Elizabeth, at 46 Mill Road (see below), and was still there in 1901, described as ‛living on own means’.
Mary Ann died on 24 March 1909 at the age of 68, and was buried on the 26th or 27th of that month in row XXVII of the St Edward parish area, in grave 8, at a depth of 9 feet. At the time of her death she was still living at the Mill Road shop.
Elizabeth Mountain (1851‒1935)
Elizabeth was born on 18 July 1851, and baptised at St Edward’s Church on 24 August of that year, the daughter of George Mountain, coachman to the Provost of King’s College, and his wife Letitia. The family lived on Queens’ Lane, in central Cambridge. George died in 1864, and Elizabeth remained with her mother Letitia, perhaps until the latter’s death in 1876, when she was living on Bentinck Street, New Town, Cambridge.
The 1871 census gives her occupation as ‛dressmaker’. By 1881, she was a ‛draper’s assistant’, one of six working at the shop of Emily Balls, 5 Market Hill, in the central square of Cambridge. By 1884, Elizabeth had acquired her own shop on Mill Road, three doors east of Union Terrace (now Mawson Road). The shop was numbered ‛23’ until 1887, changed to ‛46’ thereafter, and by 1895 became permanently ‛76’. Possibly from the beginning (certainly by 1891) her elder sister Mary Ann (see above) was living on the same premises and continued to do so until her death in 1909. In 1911 her niece Kate Mary Elizabeth Mountain was living at the shop and working as Elizabeth’s assistant. Elizabeth retained the shop until 1914, when it was taken over by a ‛C. Hughes’, in whose hands it remained until 1928. (It was a draper’s shop until 1936, and after that a butcher’s for at least thirty years.) At the end of her life Elizabeth was living nearby, at 102 Mawson Road ‒ the house to which her clergyman brother James had retired some time between 1913 and 1923, the year he died. When her brother Thomas died in 1933, he left effects worth £26,790 6s. to ‛Kate Mountain [his] widow and Elizabeth Mountain spinster’.
Elizabeth died on 25 October 1935 at the age of 84, and was buried on the 26th or 28th of that month in Mill Road Cemetery, in row XXVII of the St Edward parish area, in grave 8, at a depth of 8 feet. In her will, she left effects worth £8,582 15s 9d to her niece Edith Frances Mountain.
[If you have any information about these two persons, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
England census returns 1841 to 1901
England & Wales census return 1911
Spalding’s Street Directories of Cambridge 1881 to 1975
England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858‒1966 (Thomas, Elizabeth)
St Edward’s Church, Cambridge, baptismal register, burial register, grave book (Mary Ann, Elizabeth)
By Ian Bent