CFHS code : BE52
Parish : St Bene’t
Inscription : Sacred to the Memory of WILLIAM SEE d July 11 1867 aged 44 also SARAH ELIZABETH widow of the above d Sept 30 1891 aged 61
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Located roughly seven or eight rows from the west path under a tree. The inscription faces west.
Sacred to the Memory of WILLIAM SEE died July 11 1867 aged 44 years
Also SARAH ELIZABETH widow of the above died Sept 30 1891 aged 61 years
William See (1823 – 11 July 1867)
Little is known of William except that he may have been born on the Huntingdonshire/Cambridgeshire border. At his marriage his father’s name was given as William who was a mail contractor. In the 1851 census a 26 year old William See was living on Sidney Street and working as an ostler for widow Susan Adams He married Sarah Elizabeth Stubbings on 23 December 1851 at Holy Trinity Church, Cambridge. He appears to have run a business at Sidney Street in Cambridge. He died aged 44 years old at “Hyde Park Corner” which is the cross-roads by the Catholic Church. It seems likely that he and Sarah were living at number 45 at that time which is one of the little shops opposite the church.
Sarah Elizabeth See (nee Stubbings) (1830 – 30 September 1891)
Sarah was the daughter of Thomas and Mary Ann Stubbings. She was baptised on 5th December 1830 at St Andrew the Great in Cambridge. She grew up on Sidney Street, where her father was a ‘fly proprietor’. In 1851 just before her marriage to William See she was a dress maker.
She was widowed aged 37 years old, and in 1871 was living at 45 Regent Street where she was a shopkeeper. She then lived with her only son William Thomas See for the rest of her life at 26 Hills Road and later at 50 Hills Road. William See Junior was an organist and music teacher, who later became the organist at Holy Trinity Church.
by Claire Martinsen